10. 𝘕𝘰 𝘖𝘯𝘦 𝘓𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘖𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘢

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎: 𝐍𝐨 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚

June 20, 2018

ANNABETH WAS THE ONE WHO CALLED FOR A TAXI. She practically threw the rest of the group into the taxi as if they had money and told the driver, "Los Angeles, please."

The cab driver chewed his cigar and glared at them. "That's three hundred miles," he said. "For that, you gotta pay up front."

Percy sighed. They were screwed.

"You accept casino debit cards?" Annabeth asked.

The guy shrugged. "Some of 'em," he answered. "Same as credit cards. I gotta swipe 'em through first."

"Try my card then," Olivia asked, frantically pulling her credit card out.

Percy watched in confusion. "When'd you get that?"

"It's only for dire emergencies," she said. "I didn't want to pull it out."

Percy watched as the guy's meter machine started rattling. The lights flashed. Finally, an infinity symbol came up next to the dollar sign.

The cigar fell out of the driver's mouth. He looked back at the group, his eyes wide. "Where to in Los Angeles... uh, Your Majesty?"

"Get us as close as you can to the Santa Monica Pier," Olivia said, a smug grin on her face. "As fast as you can go, please."

She clearly liked being referred to as nobility.

"And it's highness," Olivia said. "I prefer 'Your Highness.' My grandfather would lose his mind if I went around saying majesty."

Percy didn't really understand that part.

"Get us there fast," Annabeth said, "and you can keep the change."

That was all he needed to hear. The cabbie made sure the cab's speedometer never dipped below ninety-five the whole way through the Mojave Desert. Percy told the others about his latest dream on the way there. But the details were kind of jumbled up. The Lotus Casino messed with his memory somehow. Percy wasn't able to recall what the invisible servant's voice had sounded like, but their voice was familiar. The servant had called the monster in the pit something other than "my lord"at some point... some special name or title....

"The Silent One?" Annabeth suggested. "The Rich One? Both of those are nicknames for Hades."

"Maybe..." Percy said, though they both sounded off.

"That throne room sounds like Hades'," Grover said. "That's the way it's usually described."

"Nope," Olivia decided. "Not buying it."