10. 𝘓𝘶𝘬𝘦 𝘎𝘦𝘵𝘴 𝘏𝘪𝘴 𝘈𝘴𝘴 𝘒𝘪𝘤𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘉𝘺 𝘢 𝘎𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘵

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎: 𝐋𝐮𝐤𝐞 𝐆𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐀𝐬𝐬 𝐊𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐁𝐲 𝐚 𝐆𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐭

June 18, 2019

OLIVIA LIGHTLY TAPPED PERCY'S ARM. "Percy, wake up."

She splashed his face with water. It did nothing to wet his hair and face, but he still wiped at it. "Ugh," he groaned, sitting up.

In the distance, Olivia could see the sun setting behind a city skyline. A beachside highway lined with palm trees, storefronts glowing with red and blue neon, a harbor filled with sailboats and cruise ships came to view next.

"Miami, I think," Annabeth said. "But the hippocampi are acting funny."

Sure enough, the aquatic little creatures had slowed down and were whinnying and swimming in circles, sniffing the water. They didn't look all that happy to be here. One of them sneezed.

"This is as far as they'll take us," Percy said, reading their thoughts.

"So, we're swimming," Olivia said flatly.

No one was too pleased about swimming alone, but they thanked Rainbow as well as Starlight and Minty—as Tyson called the others—for the ride.

Tyson cried a little. He unfastened the makeshift saddle pack he'd made for Rainbow, which held his tool kit and a couple of other things he'd salvaged from the Birmingham wreck within it. He hugged Rainbow tightly around the neck, gave him a soggy mango he'd grabbed on Polyphemus' island, and said a sad goodbye.

Once the hippocampi's white manes disappeared into the sea, the others drifted to shore. Minutes later, they were wandering through the mortal world again.

They made their way along the cruise line docks, pushing through crowds of people arriving for vacations. Porters bustled around with carts of luggage. Taxi drivers yelled at each other in Spanish and tried to cut in line for customers.

To call it chaotic would be a bit of an understatement.

If anybody noticed the six kids walking around, soaking wet and looking like they just battled a giant Cyclops, they didn't say anything about it.

Now that they'd returned to the mortal world, Tyson's single eye had blurred from the Mist. Grover had put on his cap and sneakers to blend in. Even the Fleece itself had transformed from a sheepskin to a red-and-gold high school letter jacket with a large glittery Ω on the pocket.