9. 𝘕𝘰𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺 𝘚𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘴 𝘖𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘢'𝘴 𝘓𝘪𝘧𝘦

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗: 𝐍𝐨𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐒𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚'𝐬 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞

SEA OF MONSTERS DAY 2

"I GOT NOBODY!" POLYPHEMUS GLOATED TRIUMPHANTLY, CHEERING FROM OUTSIDE THE CAVE.

The half-bloods (and Grover) crept to the cave entrance and saw the Cyclops, grinning wickedly, holding up empty air. Polyphemus shook his seemingly empty fist, and a baseball cap fluttered to the ground, revealing Annabeth, hanging upside down by her legs.

"Hah!" the Cyclops cried indignantly. "Nasty invisible girl! Already got feisty one for wife. Means you gotta be grilled with mango chutney!"

Annabeth struggled against the monster's grip, but she looked too dazed to actually fight back. She had a nasty cut on her forehead, and her eyes were glassy and unfocused.

"I'll rush him," Percy whispered to Clarisse. "Our ship is around the back of the island. You, Liv, and Grover-"

"No way," they all argued with Percy at the same time. Clarisse had armed herself with a highly collectible rams-horn spear from the Cyclops' cave. Grover had found a sheep's thigh bone, which he didn't look too happy about, but he was gripping it like a club, ready to attack. Olivia had her silver bow prepared.

She'd really become dedicated to that silver bow, huh? Hopefully, her dad wasn't offended.

"We'll take him together," Clarisse growled.

"Yeah," Grover said. Then he blinked, staring in bewilderment like he couldn't believe he'd just agreed with Clarisse about something.

"All right," Percy finally gave in. "Attack plan Macedonia."

The others nodded. They all knew what the son of Poseidon meant. After all, they'd taken the same training courses at Camp Half-Blood as he did. The plan was relatively simple: they would sneak around either side and attack the Cyclops from the flanks. Meanwhile, Percy would hold Polyphemus' attention in the front.

This probably meant that everyone was gonna die. But at least they'd die trying to save a friend.

Percy hefted his sword and shouted, "Hey, Ugly!"

Olivia fought a laugh as she facepalmed at the insult.

The giant whirled toward Percy. "Another one?" he demanded in rage. "Who are you?"

"Put down my friend," Percy told him. "I'm the one who insulted you."

"You are Nobody?" Polyphemus asked him.

"That's right, you smelly bucket of nose drool!" Percy taunted.

He definitely came up with that on the spot, Olivia told herself.