4. 𝘎𝘰𝘥𝘴, 𝘊𝘢𝘵𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘈𝘯𝘯𝘰𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘉𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘴

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒: 𝐆𝐨𝐝𝐬, 𝐂𝐚𝐭𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐀𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐁𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐬

December 17, 2019

THEY WERE JUST ABOUT TO LEAP OFF THE CHRYSLER BUILDING.

Suddenly, Blackjack whinnied in alarm and nearly threw Percy off of him. The son of Poseidon felt something snaking up his leg and reached for Riptide.

But when he looked down, the only thing there was a vine.

Grapevines were growing from the cracks between the stones of the building, curling around Blackjack's legs. One was wrapped right around Percy's ankle.

"Going somewhere?"

Damn it. Percy thought. Mr. fucking D.

The wine god was leaning casually against the building with his feet levitating in the air, his leopard-skin warm-up suit and black hair whipping around in the wind.

God alert! Blackjack yelled. It's the wine dude!

Mr. D sighed, the exasperation Percy could've sworn Alice had earlier before all over his face. "The next person, or horse, who calls me the 'wine dude' will end up in a bottle of Merlot!"

"Mr. D," Percy grumbled, struggling to keep his voice level as the grape vines continued to wrap around his legs. "What do you want?"

"Oh, what do I want?" Dionysus asked with a sneer. "You thought, perhaps, that the immortal, all-powerful director of camp would not notice you leaving without permission?"

"Well... maybe," Percy sighed.

After all, he'd snuck out before.

"I should throw you off this building, minus the flying horse, and see how heroic you sound on the way down," Dionysus threatened, folding his arms across his chest.

Percy felt his hands ball into fists. The smart thing to do would be to shut up and accept the fact that he was caught. But Percy's mouth, as Olivia once told him, ran faster than his brain. "Why do you hate me so much? What did I ever do to you?"

Purple flames flickered in Dionysus' eyes, much like Alice's when she snapped at Zoë. "You're a hero, boy," he said. "I need no other reason."

"I have to go on this quest! I've got to help my friends. I've got to help Olivia!"

"Why? Because you're in love, you foolish boy?" Dionysus mocked him.

Percy felt his cheeks warm, and he knew he was blushing. Maybe he could blame it on the chilly air. "It's not that!" he argued. "I just care about her! She's one of my best friends, okay? That's something you wouldn't understand!"