9. 𝘖𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘢 𝘍𝘰𝘳𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘴 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗: 𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐨𝐧 𝐒𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐞

June 14, 2018

THE GOD OF WAR ONLY SMIRKED AS PERCY APPROACHED HIM.

"Well, well," he said. "You didn't get yourself killed."

"You knew it was a trap," Percy accused.

Ares grinned wickedly. "Bet that crippled blacksmith was surprised when he netted a couple of stupid kids," he said, leaving Olivia very confused. "You looked good on TV."

"Huh?" Olivia wondered aloud.

Percy shoved Ares' shield at him. "You're a dick."

Annabeth and Grover caught their breath, giving Percy warning stares. Ares grabbed the shield and spun it in the air. It changed, melting into the form of a bulletproof vest as he slung it across his back.

"See that truck over there?" He pointed to an eighteen-wheeler parked across the street from the diner. "That's your ride. Take you straight to L.A., with one stop in Vegas."

There was a sign on the back, written in reverse-printed white on black, which made things easier to read given Olivia's dyslexia: KINDNESS INTER-NATIONAL: HUMANE ZOO TRANSPORT. WARNING: LIVE WILD ANIMALS.

"You're kidding," Percy said.

Ares snapped his fingers. The back door of the truck unlatched. "Free ride west, punk," he said. "Stop complaining. And here's a little something for doing the job."

He tossed a blue nylon backpack over to Percy. Inside, a fresh change of clothes for everyone, twenty bucks in cash, a pouch full of golden drachmas, and a bag of Double Stuf Oreos we're waiting for them.

"I don't want your lousy—" Percy began.

"Thank you, Lord Ares," Grover interrupted, nudging Percy. "Thanks a lot."

Olivia went to grab the bag, but Percy finally slung the backpack over his shoulder.

Olivia glanced at the diner, where the waitress who'd served them dinner was watching nervously out the window. She grabbed the fry cook from the kitchen and said something to him.

Olivia quickly zipped out of sight when she saw him raise a disposable camera.

"You owe me one more thing," Percy told Ares. "You promised me information about my mother."

"You sure you can handle the news?" Ares taunted him. He kick-started his motorcycle. "She's not dead."

Percy froze. "What do you mean?"

"I mean she was taken away from the Minotaur before she could die," Ares said. "She was turned into a shower of gold, right? That's metamorphosis. Not death. Ask the sunshine girl. Your mom's being kept."