You Could Know Me

George's POV

I'm back in my original chair. I don't know what the point is of fighting. I'm practically already dead. Could I still change his mind? I had to try right? Even as I was going to be killed what still matters to me? What would I want to know about him? How could I help him?

"I really trusted you George. Twice. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice" Dream interrupts me at his table, "you know the rest. I just thought you were different. I thought there was a chance-" he cut himself off and turns around and walks towards me, "welp. It doesn't matter. I was right. You're a manipulative liar. You don't like to hurt people George? You hurt me." He actually sounds like he's going to cry "Now is my time to be honest with you. I've been hurt in a lot of ways, but no one has hurt me like you did. A question popular between plenty of my victims" I'm his victim, "why do I kill people? I try to focus on the bad people who do unforgivably bad things, but sometimes I drift to see the people with evil potential" he sits in front of me and he makes eye contact "but that's not why I started. You brought up my first victim before, but that wasn't my first kill. My dad beat my mom so severely she passed away in the hospital. The only reason she made it to the hospital is because I stabbed him 17 times. He was dead after the 3rd. It felt good George that no one could hurt anyone again. You will never be able to hurt anyone again." Wow quite a monologue.

"You're the only person I've ever hurt, and don't act like you didn't deserve it." I lean forward to challenge him. To be honest I'm starting to feel more alive.

"I was kind to you. I let you clean up, even after you hurt me. I let you sleep in my bed. I let you go home. You act like I'm completely nonnegotiable, but all I have ever been trying to do is work with you. Which is more than I have ever done for anyone else." I gotta ask questions find holes in his logic.

"Why?" I'm still angry and I can't sound genuine yet.

"I don't know." He stands up. I notice a small pocket knife that he flips open.

"Wouldn't you like to know before you kill me? Why I'm so different?" The cold knife is at my neck and he walks behind me.

"I think I subconsciously know." He leans closer to my ear.

"Why? Please you owe me that." It's difficult for my voice to not wavier, but I try my best.

"Because-" his breathing gets heavier in my ear like he might cry, "because I like you..." the pressure on the knife lessens, but he swipes it lightly. He didn't cut.

"Why?" I stare in front of me. I try to focus on his words. Both hands are on my shoulders.

"Because like you said George your genuine, smart, hopeful, a fighter, and so much more, and I just want to figure it all out. I want to know you inside and out, but now due to your actions that will never happen." I would never admit it out loud, but I knew exactly what he was talking about. This is the most he's talked to me. I know more about him and I feel more towards him.

   "I don't know what to say." Nothing I say will be truthful and save my life. Nothing I can admit at least.

   "Yeah. I expected that. Can't think of anything to save your life?" Dream taunts. He returns the knife to its place on my neck.

   "I could tell you I love you. I could tell you I'd change. Not that you would believe any of it. I could tell you I want to help you again because I'm out of options. Or I could tell you what you want to hear, but none of that would save my life. I've been trying. Most of it will just buy me time. Time I don't care about anymore." I have given up. I feel the knife pushing.

   "You know what I wanna hear George? I want to hear whatever truthful thoughts you have." His other hand is still holding my shoulder squeezing and unsqueezing constantly.

   "I'll never get to thank Dean" he swipes the knife a little and I inhale, "I won't ever get to help you be a better person" the knife stays in place, "I won't get to feel a bed again, and I didn't even cherish my last time in one" the knife still doesn't move, "I'll never get to see if you changed or got caught, but it doesn't matter I guess" the knife moves a little as I mention it's importance.

   "Keep going." He taps his fingers on my shoulder.

   "I'm starting to catch on that every time I say something you don't like the knife moves" it doesn't earn a move instead a chuckle, "gotta pay somehow I guess. I hope you heal from when I stabbed you. I hope your friend is okay. I wish I could've said bye to everyone I knew." He stops the knife.

   "Ah I almost forgot." He walks away, "when I point to you whatever you want to say whoever you want to say it to. Just do it. When I point to you." He writes something on the tape. Then he points to me.

   I look him in the eyes, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I almost got you caught when we first met. I don't think I truly understood you. Maybe I still don't. I'm sorry I was ungrateful for your generosity as you offered me clothes, food, bathroom breaks, and even a shower. You treated me different and I never appreciated it. I'm sorry I might get you caught." He almost clicks on the stop recording before I speak up again, "No I'm not." He looks up at me. "I'm not sorry. I did what I was supposed to do when I was kidnapped and had a fear of murder. The only thing I'm sorry for is for you thinking I'm different. I'm not. I'm sorry for disappointing multiple people around me, and even you. Dream you're probably the biggest part of my life and I really think things could've ended differently if you just believed me. That I was sorry I hurt you because I don't hurt people. That I wanted to help you. I did Dream" I start crying and I don't know why, "I want you to be a better person because if you were a better person I would admit that I like you too, but I can't because you disgust me, because you hurt me, just like I did you. Because you didn't believe me, but I always believed you. I've said my peace." Warm tears continue to stream down my cheeks out of frustration. He hits the stop recording button.

   Dream looks at the tape for quite awhile until he skips through it to the end and we hear my words, "I want you to be a better person because if you were a better person I would admit that I like you too" once it's done he replays his favorite part "I like you too" I sit there and I would hide my face in embarrassment if I could move. I don't know how many times he replays it, but enough that it must be engraved in his head. Then he leaves.