Investigation

Dreams POV

   I left George down there. I can't think straight when I'm around him. I can never trust him again. I gave him too many chances, but then again what's one more going to do? Someone knows what I look like it's only a matter of time before someone catches me. I could kill him and get caught or I could accept his help and see what happens?

    A knock at the door interrupts my thinking. I head to the window and peak through it. Luckily I recognized the car. I open the door, "You're a fucking idiot." Sapnap says as he enters my house slamming the burner phone into my chest. He starts to head downstairs.

   "Woah, woah, woah, what are you doing?" I go following him and trying to stop him.

   "I'm doing what could've helped you avoid this mess." He grabs his panda mask.

    "Nick no. If he ends up dead and I'm the last person he saw, what are they going to think?" He sets the panda mask down.

   "What are they going to think when they see he's tied down in your basement?" He looks into my eyes and tries to knock some sense into me. Unfortunately it won't work.

   "Come talk to me upstairs." I tell Nick pointing to my ear then to the door. He probably thinks I have a better plan than I do. Nonetheless he follows me into the living room and we sit on the couch together. Far enough that George can't hear me, "What if I untied him?"

   "Yup. You're still a fucking idiot." He stands up from the couch.

   "No. Nick if he dies everyone will know it's me. He wants to stop me. What if I let him think he is?" Nick sat back down. I can tell he's deep in thought.

   "One more mess up and I'll kill both of you." He emphasizes his point with his hand gestures. I chuckle at his comment but I know he at least means it for George.

"Aww you know I'm the one who does the dirty work." It was just a joke, but it's true. Sap usually just gives me the bad people. He will occasionally help out but it's very rare.

   We talk about how our days and jobs have been. We talk as friends not just about what's happening. Although we didn't just drop the situation after his comment. He left in the late afternoon.

   I took a short nap. Then I grabbed George a granola bar. I went downstairs and cut him out. I let him use the bathroom and then he went right back down and snacked on the bar. Then he let me tie him down again. Nothing was said. I actually noticed he was slightly red out of... embarrassment? It was hard to read him. After he was fed and taken care of I left him down there. I kind of felt bad, but he didn't protest.

   I spend the rest of my afternoon thinking about what I am going to do with him. By the time I have exhausted my brain it's early in the evening and I get another knock at my door. I look at the window. Fuck. A cop car. I head to my door and open it with my best fake smile.

   "Hello officer." I open the door all the way to let him see in. See I have nothing to hide, although only 10 steps away George is tied down in my basement.

   "Clay Woods?" The officer questions.

   "Yes that is me." I'm still smiling I hope George can't hear.

   "You're phone number has been involved in a murder case. Would you know anything about that?" Well if I did why would I tell you the truth.

   "You know I actually lost my phone at Walmart a week or two ago. I hadn't gotten a new one and didn't shut the number down. Didn't really have the money at the moment. You're welcome to take my statement if you want?" I offer myself up.

   "Yup. Sorry sir , but unfortunately you will have to come with me for a line up." Shit. Dean is going to identify me.

   "Of course. I'm ready to go now." I leave my house and lock the door and follow the officer. He motions me to the passenger seat and not in the back.

   I notice another car I know watching from just down the street. It's Sapnap's. He saw. He knows. He might kill George. I acknowledge him with eye contact through the window, but I am driven off.

   I make casual comfortable small talk with the officer. We laugh together a little. He doesn't think I'm even half bad. We pull up to the police station. When we walk in he is bent over laughing at a comment I made. It's noticed by the others in the station. He wipes away a stray tear formed from laughter.

   "Clay Woods. He's here for the line up. See you around." He leaves.

   They take all of these men finger prints. As similar as we are we all look different. A few men look like they're barely pushing 5'10, others could be 7 feet. Some men have blonde hair to their shoulders, another has a buzz cut? They take all of our names. It takes an hour or 2 for all of the 9 men including me to get situated. Then we are handed cardboard with numbers written on them. My number is 3. We are placed in a bright white room. We face a mirror. I know that I am pointed at immediately.

   "Number 3 step forward." A mechanical women's voice echos through the small room I take a step forward. "Say David."

"David." I say in a more upbeat tone than how I introduced myself to Dean.

"Thank you. You may step back." In the background of her speaking I hear Dean say that's him I know it's him. Some of the other men look around. "Exit out the door to your left." We leave out of the same door we came in from. I am taken aside and placed in handcuffs. I see Dean smirk.

I am placed in a back room. It's close enough to the front that I can hear everyone. I can't see anyone though. It's a very vacant room other than me, the chair, and the table. I don't know how long I sit here, but I hear the doors open and close urgently. I hear quite a few sirens too. Something is happening.

Before I can brainstorm too much a man walks in my room. He looks very professional. He sits down across from me. "Hello Clay, I'm Detective Mills. You're being investigated for the Dream Murders." I open my eyes in shock and drop my jaw a little. I'm sure it's nothing he hasn't seen from liars before. "Have anything so say about that?"

"I- I- I mean I didn't- I wouldn't-" I stutter over myself. He doesn't seem so convinced it's me. I can use that to my advantage.

"Do you know George Davidson?" George better help me.

"Yeah. He's my friend. He's been staying at my place for a few days." I know that if he asked me to go get George I could without being fishy. George would be alive too. He wouldn't be in the best shape, and that may be suspicious.

"Do you know he's been missing?" He looks at me like I'm stupid.

"No. I lost my phone a week or two ago and my tv has been broke. I hadn't really had the time to ask around, because I've been working too hard. I can go home and get him for you." I say explaining.

"That won't be necessary. What do you know about-" we're interrupted by the door opening.

"It's not him. Body found. One of Dreams. Time of death half an hour ago." The officer comes to my side and starts taking my handcuffs off.

"Who?" The detective still interrogates.

"Jefferey Smith. Drug dealer in our system." Not George. Sapnap's a hell of a guy. I'll have to repay him.

With no more questions I was let go. I caught a taxi home. I'm met by the man who got me out of that mess.