Chapter Fourteen: Steve?

Steve? Who's Steve?

Everyone other than Jake and I rush off the couch towards the stairs where a man was walking down with Will trialing behind. The first thing I noticed with this guy was his hair. It was... almost majestic. The way it decided to defy gravity.

Everyone greeted him with hugs and questions about what he was doing there. Dustin hugs him last and you can tell they have a stronger bond than everyone else. But as sweet as the moment was, it's quickly ruined by Steve smacking him up against the head.

"Ow! What the hell Steve?" Dustin exclaimed, his lisp very prominent.

"Your the reason I'm down here shithead." Replied Steve. Dustin still looked lost just like everyone else. He then holds up a brown paper bag, raising his eyebrows as if it explains everything. I guess it did for Dustin because he immediately grabs the bag and rushes up the stairs. Everyone else is still confused, including me me, and I look over at Jake. He looks like he's contemplating something in his head.

"Hey, everything good over there?"

"Yea," he says with a sigh. "Just a lot going on up here," he finishes while pointing at his head, looking towards me.

Before I can respond, I forgot we were in a room with the others, so I was interrupted."Who are they?" Steve questions finally acknowledging our presence on the couch. I have no response. Seems like that's been happening a lot recently. I look to the others for help, who blacked out just like I did.

"Were friends from school." Everyone's heads turn towards the source of the lifesaving voice. And I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say the source was-

"I'm Jake and this is Y/N." That's what he was doing earlier. He was in his head shoving away all the bad things that had transpired today and putting back up his shield. But just because his shield is up doesn't mean it's not cracked. I can see it in his eyes. Major cracks.

"Yea," Will confirms. "Their spending the night."

"Well it looks like I'm here for a bit too. No point in going home Labor Day weekend and do nothing," said Steve. "Should probably call Robin and let her know."

Steve retreats up the stairs, probably to use the phone. Oh shit. I was supposed to call the house and let them know what was going on. What do I even tell her? Shit. We might have to leave. No. Maybe I'll get lucky and she's not there when I call. That's about all I can hope for.

"Hey, nice save back there," Mike says, directing his comment towards Jake. walking over. The rest of the group agrees, looking relieved about how the last 5 minutes played out.

"Who was that guy?" I asked.

Max grabbed a bag of chips while collapsing on the couch. "He's our babysitter back home.""Babysitter?" Questioned Jake. "Like he takes care of you guys? Wow overprotective parents much?" That comment earned a couple chuckles.

"Nah, just Will's mom. She's quite the helicopter parent," Lucas comments, again causing everyone to laugh except for Will who seems a bit embarrassed.

"He was forced to watch us while Jane went to the source." Mike said. "It wasn't the most ideal but we actually ended up helping in the end."

Oh. So he's the dude who helped them in the tunnels. So he knows. It's like everyone in this house knows. I don't know how to feel about that information yet, but I'll keep an open mind.I turn my attention towards Jake. "Hey, I'm going to go make a call to the house."

"We're gonna have to go home, huh?" He asks, sounding defeated. I grab his hand, giving him a hopeful squeeze, and stand to make the journey upstairs. Once I reach the bottom of the stairs, I look over my shoulder for a second to see Jake and Will sharing a conversation. About what, I don't know, but it was an enjoyable one since they were both smiling. Things can get better.