Chapter Nineteen: Cat's Out Of The Bag

The words hung in the air as we all were kneeling on the ground. I had so many questions that I wanted answers to, but the only person who could give me those just drove away in a van. It all made sense though. I just wished she would have told us. Or maybe she couldn't. I don't know. I hear rustling next to me and see Will appear at Jake's side looking over the gash on his forehead. They make brief eye contact before looking away. I could have sworn I saw a blush appear on their faces afterwards, but now's not the time. 

"We should probably head back before the others start worrying." Both boys nod in agreement. We all stand, Jake with a bit of assistance from Will, Jake using his jacket to cover the wound on his head. We then head in the direction of the Byer's residence. 

"What do we do now?" Both Will and I let Jake's question sink in, coming to no conclusion. All I know is we're in a pretty fucked up situation. 

Jane's gone. 

We have no idea where she is. 

She's making actions based off of her emotions instead of her logic. 

Who knows what they said to her about her father to make her get into that van. The threats they could have made so she wouldn't tell us anything. For all we know, these photos along with the records could be completely forged. 

Will broke my thoughts with a deep sigh. "This is exactly why we moved in the first place; to get away from them, from all of it. Should of known it was just gonna follow us. Too good to be true." The pain heard in every word he spoke was felt between both me and Jake. Knowing everything this group has been through, especially Will... he just can't catch a break. They used to have normal lives. How many lives have people like us ruined? If they had never met us, they wouldn't be caught up in this government mess. They would be living like normal teenagers. The way they were supposed to be. 

"I'm sorry, Will," I spoke barely above a whisper. "I'm sorry for everything you've been through. All of you." We ruined their lives. 

"You guys don't deserve any of this," Jake spoke up. "Especially you." He directed his words to Will. "You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. God, maybe if we had stayed at the lab, none of this would have happened." The words stung, but I was thinking the same thing. As much as I hate to admit it, us leaving caused a huge riff in their plans, ultimately leading to the event of Jane opening the gate. She couldn't handle it alone. Maybe if we had been there-

"Don't say that. You guys were right to leave that place." Will had stopped walking, looking us both in the eyes. "Look, of course I wish I had never been taken to the upside down. To be honest, I still have nightmares about it, or think I see the mind flayer when I'm out at night when in reality it's just a cloud. But I would never blame you guys or Jane for anything that has happened to me. You guys were being used for bad a-and, it's been you guys who have been saving me and my friends from the people who are to blame, and we still barely know each other! So please, don't hold yourselves accountable for what happened to us, ok?" 

I just stood there speechless. It was only until I felt the tears rolling down my face that I realized I was crying. I immediately embraced him in a much needed hug, Jake joining soon after. We stayed like that for a bit longer, enjoying each others presence before letting go, and making the home stretch back to the house. 

~
~
~

After making it back to the house, we were swarmed by people who embraced us in hugs, asked questions and gave us confused looks (those were from the parents). The realization hit me as I realize none of the adults- well, besides Steve, knew that Jake and I were experiments like Jane. 

"What is going on? Why did you guys leave in the middle of the night?" asked Will's mom, still embracing her son in a hug. 

"And why is my Mike's arm bleeding?" Mike's mom put an arm on her son's shoulder, the concern clear in her voice as she looks at us. 

"Guys let's calm down. All of us badgering them at once isn't going to help," spoke Steve. Hm, wouldn't have pegged him for being the voice f reason. 

"Is that..?" I look from Steve to an older girl who I believe is Mike's older sister Nancy pointing in Jake's direction. I follow her gaze to Jake's exposed wrist which revealed his tattoo.

009. 

 Shit, he took off his jacket to cover his gash. I didn't think we were going to have any problems with it. "And... nose bleeds. Both of you." 

This bitch-

I immediately feel the mood in the room change as the adults who were present casually pull their children a bit closer to them, making Lucas, Dustin, and Max subconsciously follow. Knowing what they've gone through, they put two and two together very quickly. Jake and I were isolated. 

"Well, I guess the cats out of the bag," Jake joked, laughing nervously. Leave it to Jake to make a joke with our current situation. At least he's feeling like his old self again.

"Maybe you guys should sit down." All eyes were on me at the suggestion. The adults gave me puzzled looks obviously not aware of my involvement in this situation. This was bound to happen sooner or later with the way this night was unfolding, I just didn't think it would happen like this. They almost looked scared of us. 

They sure were in for a rude awakening. 

___________________________________________

Yea. 

-Blue

"Why Did You Leave?" Stranger Things x Readerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें