Chapter Twenty-Two: The Game Plan

"Hess?"

"Yea, I saw a mailbox with the name "Hess" on it."

"I've been to that house before." All eyes were now on Joyce. "Well, both me and Hopper went to that house actually. We went there during the whole Russian affair and that's where we met Alexi..."

"Where is it?"

"Back in Indiana."

"That's a 16 hour drive!" Dustin chipped in.

"And they've already gotten about a three hour head start," Jake started. "And we don't know if he has access to a plane which turns that 16 hour drive into a seven hour flight."

"Even though Hopper's alive, or so we think, we don't have military help like the past," stated Mike who was sat upright on the couch.

"Well can't we still call them and, I don't know, leave a message? Or something?" Everyone looked at Steve, quick to disregard his comment.

"I can try to get into contact with Dr. Owens but I don't think he'll get back to me right away," commented Joyce standing from her seat and heading for the phone.

"No, we need someone as soon as possible! Tell them this can't wait!" Jake raises his voice and all focus snaps to him.

"Hey, calm down. We all want Jane to come home but we need to take it one step at a time to figure out the best approach." Joyce's mother instincts must have kicked in. She spoke softly and reassuringly towards Jake.

"No, you don't understand, she doesn't have that much time!" Jake is close to tears looking down at the ground, not daring to meet anyone's gaze. His breathing had begun to speed up, but I noticed him trying to gain control of it.

"Jake," Mike said in a serious tone. "What do you mean she doesn't have that much time?"

Silence.

"He told me," Jake started, closing his eyes. A few tears leaving his eyes, " that he knows how to activate her power again for what he's using her for. But the backlash will eventually kill her."

Adlibs were mumbled throughout the room by the others. 

"Kill?!"

"What are you talking about?" 

"HOW DO YOU-"

"I don't know- He got in my head, tried to manipulate me like when I was a kid, almost made me lose control. I was able to flip it on him and he revealed information on why he needed her. He has something big planned and Jane is the key to it. He doesn't care what happens to her. He's willing to let her die so he gets what he wants. So I don't care if I have to hop on a train or drive myself to Indiana but I'm not just going to stand here doing nothing while Jane's clock runs down!" Tears are streaming down everyone's face now. "We already lost her once, I'll be damned if it happens again."

"Jake," I start while grabbing his wrist. He looks down to see a subtle bright-red fist. He quickly relaxes his hand and looks at everyone else in the room who were wearing shocked expressions on their faces. Next thing, Jake runs out of the house.

"Was that his, fire?" asked Dustin. I shake my head remembering that they hadn't seen it before.

"I thought he never used it," asked Will, recalling what I had told him as well as the conversation we all had on our second day of meeting.

""Yea, well, things change." I quickly excuse myself and exit the house. I spot Jake sitting on the curb next to the Wheeler's car, his forehead pressed into the backs of his hands. I walk so I'm standing beside him.

"It was bound to happen sooner or later, right?" Jake spoke. "The flames slowly taking control again." I sit down next to him and put my hand on his. He tries to push me away, retracting his hand but I don't let him. "Y/N let go! I don't want to hurt you!" All his words do are make me tighten my grip. "Y/N, leave me alone!" He tries to shove me but I use that to my advantage pulling him into my chest and wrap my arms around him. A few seconds of fighting and he gives up as he begins to sob, burying his head into my shoulder.

"I'm a monster, Y/N," he whispers. I quickly release my hold of him and reach for his face so we are eye to eye. 

"Don't ever say that again."

"But-"

"No. Never again. You are far from it, understand me? What you've done, why both of us are so fucked up are because of our upbringings. We had no control over it. Don't you remember that you're the reason I escaped from the lab in the first place? Without you I wouldn't be here right now. And what you said back there about Jane? No monster could have spoken those words, ok? You are a human being who has been through some shit. Plain and simple."

He nods his head while wiping the tear streaks from his face. I pull him back in for one last hug which he is again hesitant to resiprocate but eventually melts into it. A minute or two pass before we hear the door to the Byer's house open. Mrs. Byers leads the pack along with Steve. They both have keys to their cars in their hands. Before we open our mouths, Mike fills us in on what's happening. 

"Were splitting into two groups. One is gonna start a trip back to Hawkins via car while the other group goes to the airport and tries to get a flight back."

"Yea," Mrs. Byers takes over. "And if group two can't book a flight then they'll drive as well but be a few hours behind the rest."

"Flights should be going out soon, I mean it's almost 5:30," commented Steve. 

"S-so, who's in what group?" asked Jake who was still trying to process the information thrown his direction. 

"We figured you guys would choose who goes where." 

I was shocked a bit hearing this, but it strangely comforted me knowing they trusted us with something like this. 

"Um... Ok. Let's have Will, Jake, Mrs. Byers and I try the airport route and the rest take the straight shot to Hawkins." I chose us four because I think it would be best for Jake and I to get to Jane as soon as possible, even on a gamble. Mrs. Byers knows the exact location of the house and Will because I know Mrs. Myers and her son are a package deal. 

And he can help me keep Jake calm. 

Everyone agreed with the plan, so we quickly said our goodbyes and parted ways. Mike seemed to be in a bit more of a hurry, but I don't know if it was because of Jane or the fact that his parents had no idea he was leaving. 

Maybe it was both. 

As the four of us piled into Mrs. Byer's car, Jake brought up a pretty important factor. 

"How are we paying for tickets?"

Mrs. Byers rustled through her purse pulling out an envelope. "Before we left, I made a call to Dr. Owen's people, and I directed them to the Hess house as well. I also grabbed all the cash in our savings, I just don't know if it's enough." 

I think for a second before asking, "Do you think we have time to swing by our house?"

______________________________________________

AHHHHHHH I AM SO SORRY FOR THE WAIT!!!!!!!

Lots of factors but it's finally out! 

Thank you guys for over 1k reads! I appreciate every single one of you and please comment and tell me what you think of the book! Comments honestly make my day!!!!

-Blue