Cold feet

Three days before the wedding.

And three days to figure out how I was going to prevent it from happening.

I was seated on the veranda. It was early in the morning so the sun was still hiding enough that I wasn't feeling the heat. I was idly scribbling in my book, my mind a frenzy of thoughts.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Mark asked as he took the seat next to me.

I looked up, studying him for a moment. Counting each freckle delicately placed on his nose bridge. Nostalgia. That's what I was feeling today. A wave of nostalgia of the life I was leaving behind in three days. 

"It's nothing," I lied as I turned back to my doodling. I felt a hand press on my shoulder. It's warmth comforting but unwanted.

"I know you better than that Lace," he started, willing me to have to look back at him. I sighed, closing my book and turning to give him my most undivided attention.

"I know you're probably freaking out about the wedding. I am too. Trust me," he admitted, not breaking eye contact with me once, "but you're not the one who has to watch his best friend get married to the love of his life."

I pondered his words. Not even thinking of that aspect. He loved me and to watch Rhys get me instead...I couldn't imagine what was running through his mind.

"Promise me one thing," he began again, and I could tell whatever he was about to say took a toll out of him, "promise me if you do end up falling in love with Rhys that you'll forget about me. Ignore that I told you I love you and move on. All I want is for you to be happy."

If only he knew that I was already falling for Rhys. A sad look crossed his face as his understanding registered.

"You already have, haven't you?" It pained me to see his face so hurt but I couldn't bare to lie to him. Knowing that it would just be hurting me in the process.

I simply nodded, avoiding his eyes.

His shoulders dropped and I knew I'd just broken his heart. He left Keira for me and here I was confused about my feelings for both him and Rhys.

"But," I continued, thinking my next words carefully, "I love you too Mark, I think you'll always be my first love."

Mark smiled sadly, emotions swimming in his eyes. I gazed back, feeling my own on show as well. He cautiously lifted a finger to my face, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. It almost felt like he was saying a silent goodbye. His face then inched slowly closer to mine, almost as if he was waiting for me to push him back away. I didn't.

My lips trembled as his brushed against them. Salty tears mixed between them as he shaped his lips against mine. So soft, so delicate. I felt his love exuberate off of him and onto me. A kiss that spoke so many unspoken words.

"I can't," I mouthed against him, allowing the tears to flow freely.

"I know," he replied, the sadness filling his voice as well, "I'm leaving after the wedding. I'm moving back to Florida, I can't.." He trailed off and he didn't have to finish without me knowing. It'll be too hard to watch Rhys married to me. I pulled away, and forcely wiped at the tears willing them to stop.

"I don't want to marry him," I blurted out, unable to hold it in any longer, "I don't even have my life in order. Nothing makes sense. I just want to live a little. Fall in love with who I choose. Marry who I want."

He didn't say anything. It wasn't his place. We both knew it wasn't going to help anything if he did.

Breaking the trance we were both drowning in, I heard my name being called from the kitchen.