A whole lot of Complicated

CHAPTER 1

We ascended up an elevator in a posh building heading to the top floor.

"Of course you live in the penthouse," I stated annoyingly, rolling my eyes at Rhys.

He grinned, "we live in a penthouse."

"There is no we here buddy."

"In actuality you own part of it."

My mouth dropped, "please don't tell me our parents were planning for this marriage thing long beforehand."

"You aren't so dumb after all," He teased.

The elevator chimed to a stop and we got out. I surveyed the surrounding feeling like I was in the middle of the fanciest hotel I'd been.

"Show me to my room and you'd never have to see me again," I began, pulling my suitcase forward, "I promise I'll stay in there forever if it saves me from seeing your face."

He tsked, a grin hinting on his face, "we're going to be living in the same room, sweetface. You do remember we're going to be married in two weeks right?"

"Honestly what's the deal with that anyway? You knew before?"

"Yes, but in all honesty I'm just thankful you aren't a boy because that would have been an interesting story."

I huffed in protest, thinking that whole story was a bunch of crap. Rhys signalled me forward as we ascended the flight of stairs and I was led to a gigantic bedroom. It looked like a bachelor's pad. Not a woman's touch in site. That was till I saw a box of condoms on the side table.

"Gross." I commented, not even pretending to mask my disgust. He laughed and let me be alone to unpack, shutting the door behind me.

Half an hour later, I was folding the last of my clothes into the dresser pressed against the door. It had been empty when I arrived and I guessed Rhys had at least some decency to clear it for me.

I was distracted though by the distant sound of voices raising. I got up from my cross legged position and moved closer to the door.

"Do not touch her...ever." That was Rhys.

"Seriously Rhys, do you not know me?" A strangely familiar voice chuckled. Haven't I heard that voice before? "Besides I don't even know the girl, she could be a troll for all I know. In that case, please don't kill me if I begin to laugh at the shit show you might have to marry."

This guy was a dick. I didn't know which one would be worse between Rhys and him.

"Actually you..nevermind. Just make sure you don't try anything or else I will rip your throat out. She's my fiancee so off limits."

I decided to make an entrance and as softly as I could I descended the stairs. "You do know I could hear-" I started but my words were literally caught in my mouth.

I felt tears swelling in my eyes and I tried to keep them back. The person standing next to Rhys made my heart swell. I couldn't believe my eyes.

"Lace?." Only one person in the world called me that and that person is the last person I thought I would ever see again.

"Mark?" I blubbered out already feeling drops of salty tears spill out.

The guy I loved up to six months ago stood in front of me. I wasn't even sure if I didn't love him still. He looked the same. Broad shoulders, jet black eyes with matching hair. I even spotted his freckles I loved so much scattered on his face.

In the spur of the moment, I raced towards him and wrapped my arms and legs around him in a tight embrace. He returned it and I felt his nose take in my scent. A moan slipped from his mouth and I squeezed him tightly, savouring the moment.

"Wow no flipping person listens to Rhys!" He exclaimed while leaving me and Mark in the hallway.

"I've missed you." I whispered in his chest, feeling it move in the rhythm of his breaths.

"I've missed you too, Lace."

"Ok now please break your little love fest with my fiancee." Rhys once again entered the kitchen.

"How come you're here?" I asked Mark, ignoring Rhys completely.

"I moved in when I moved to Boston. After Rhys left, our parents got in touch and the rest was history. We started the same school and it only made sense," he started up, then rubbed his shoulder nervously, "there's uh another one who lives here with us."

"Where's he?" I asked, surveying the living room at the end of the hallway.

I looked back to the two guys, Rhys was leaning against the doorframe smirking.

"It's a she," he replied chuckling, "and she is Mark's girlfriend."

I couldn't even pretend to mask the hurt that was adamant on my face. I looked over to him for confirmation and him avoiding my gaze was enough.

"It's been six months Mark. Six months and you've already moved on? Joke's on me huh," I said bitterly.

"It's okay sweetface, you could sit on my face later if that makes you feel better," Rhys teased and I swore I saw Mark's face redden in response.

"I swear to God Rhys if you touch her-"

"You'll what kill me? Last time I checked she's my sexy cow, Mark. Get your own."

Sexy cow? He wasn't being serious right. It was impossible to ever take him seriously.

"But she was my girlfriend dick."

"Was being the key word in that sentence, buddy."

'What's all the comotion?" A petite redhead entered the room, her voice fragile and perfectly suited for how she looked. She was cute, innocence spread over her face. I hated her already.

"Hi, you must be my new roommate," I put on my best fake voice ever, "I'm Kacey, Rhys' fiancee."

Oh," she looked taken aback but quickly recovered and said, "Kiera, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure's all mine." I was going to destroy her.