Nightmare or Dream

CHAPTER 10

"Mark pass me the cereal." I demanded grumpily. He cocked one eyebrow up as he passed me a huge helping of Corn Flakes and I literally slurped it down. I really didn't want to think of the past night and how my emotions were feeling for anyone.

I remembered yesterday when Mark said he loved me and that only made me hurt more due to the circumstances. It was probably twelve o'clock and I felt like I slept for an hour.

"Where's Kiera anyway? Since you broke up with here. She does live here still right?" I asked not really caring but trying to make conversation.

"Yea she's still here, uh sleeping."

I threw my bowl into the sink and decided that I needed to face Rhys sooner or later. I didn't bother putting on slippers as I stepped onto the veranda. Rhys was sitting by the table...reading a book?

I walked across and then stood towering him. He glanced up and then closed the book.

"We need to talk Rhys..." I started before he interrupted me and stood up.

"I love you Kacey." Rhys strolled closer whispered in my ear, making chills run up my spine. The sun glistened against my bare shoulders making me feel warm and content like a hot summer day. The grass whistled as the soft gentle breeze flew into our faces as we were alone in our quiet bubble.

"I love you too Rhys," I replied automatically with pure genuine emotion, surprising myself. He caressed my cheek ever so delicately and I hugged my arms around his broad shoulders. He leaned closer to me being very cautious and i knew what he wanted, so I covered the distance between our lips as they crushed together.

The tingling sensation it sent through me was exhilarating. Eventually it deepened, his hand went up my tank top tracing circles that made me moan. I grabbed his hair and forced myself closer. We both tumbled onto the soft greenery and he was beginning to pull off my shirt. I woke up screaming.

My head was covered with clammy sweat and my feelings were mixed in one big jumble of confusion. What just happened? I didn't really know what that was, a nightmare or a dream so I just decided to reassure myself it was only a nightmare. A cruel sick joke of a nightmare.

I hopped up ignoring the pains in my body. Sasha trotted in to the room at that moment, holding a big tray of yummy smelling blueberry pancakes.

"I thought you needed some energy." She told me setting the tray on the bed. I smiled and walked back to the bed and fell onto the cushioned crimson bedsheet.

She hesitantly sat next to me and studied me for a long while. That's how I knew Sasha was worried about me, it's like she digs deep down and knows exactly how I feel.

"You're confused." She stated matter-of-fact.

I nodded and gave her a sheepish smile.

"What's bothering you?"

Before I could stop myself from sounding crazy I explained the dream to her and she didn't show the least bit of emotion. After I finished though, all she said was, "You're falling for him."

"Psh, never." I replied automatically not sure how my heart was feeling, "And anyway he's a douche and I'm not stupid enough to fall for him." Am I? I added mentally.

After she watched me gulp the warm pancakes down I told her I was going to call my mom and she left closing the door behind her.

Three rings later, she finally picked up.

Hi honey, how's everything going? We're flying in tomorrow to start the wedding preparations. Aren't you excited?"

I immediately regretted calling her and pinched my nose, trying to figure out how to answer her, "yes mom, I'm so excited to see you guys. Can't wait. Everything's fine on my side. There's never a dull moment."

I heard the approval in her voice as she said that's nice. I hated lying to her but I knew telling her the truth would just get me more frustrated.

She went on talking about what happened to her since I was gone. She had it set that the nosy neighbour was out to find out the scoop of the rumours about Rhys and I and how her life was so hard avoiding the accusatory stares. I didn't feel the least bit of pity for her.

:Okay mom, well I'm going to go bathe and then relax, I'll see you tomorrow morning."

I hurried to the bath and showered in the scalding water. My mind automatically flashed back to the night before and my heart picked up in pace. I really did need to get a grip on myself, I thought telling myself I was safe now. Rhys had thought I should have made a report but then after the state we'd left Chris in I was scared that would cause Rhys to be questioned.

When I was about to go downstairs Rhys was propped on one arm, lying on the bed. I mentally reminded myself that this was his room too and I couldn't get annoyed. He took one log sweeping gaze down my body and then met my eyes again.

"Can I help you?" I asked, cross armed.

"Say thanks to me properly for saving your butt last night."

"I did by forgiving you for doing that 'I love you' shit with Keira to me."

"You did?"

"No." I scoffed, walking away.

"Wait Kace," He grabbed my hand and turned me to face him again, "you just said you did."

"Sucks to believe someone's lies doesn't it," I mumbled.

"I'm sorry, and I promise on my life that's not a lie," I can't believe how much of a douche that was of me. If I thought it through properly I would have never done it," he looked to his fingers, fidgeting away. Then nervously continued, "Not the kiss of course. That I didn't regret the slightest."

"I'm willing to forgive you Rhys," I gave him the slightest smile. Deciding I might as well have let bygones be bygones. He did save my ass last night.

A slow smile spread across his face as he grabbed me in a head lock and nuzzled the top of it. I laughed shoving his huge body off of me.

"But you really did want to kiss me that day didn't you?" He smirked.

I pushed him playfully, amused but not surprised.

"Why are you so full of yourself? And no I didn't."

"Oh don't lie, who wouldn't have."

"Me and I'm simply not lying."

Sadness washed over his face for a second but then he grinned and said, "Good thing to, I didn't want you to be obsessed like the other girls are."

"Grow up and stop being a jerk!"

"I'm simply not." He beamed.

I rolled my eyes, "Go find someone else to play with Rhys."

"You know what you're right I don't like to play with little girls." He countered arrogantly.

"I'm not a little girl."

"Oh yea you are. Scared to have sex, scared to have some fun once in a while...you're always so uptight Kace. Always so vanilla."

"I'm. Not. A. Little. Girl." I repeated as angrily as I could portray, "and what is your obsession with vanilla, I'm not plain thank you very much."

"Prove it." He puckered his lips. A light bulb clicked in my head and i realized what he really wanted. He was not getting 'that'.

"Okay." I mused and then I leaned ever so slightly towards him. I paused a finger breath away from him, our lips almost touching. The electricity jolting from it through me. His breath hitched as we waited for my move. I caressed his cheek, passing my thumb over his lips and then my fingers over his eyes. He closed them. Waiting.

Then I walked off, leaving him behind.

I heard him come to a realisation as he groaned, "You're not proving it."

I smiled, satisfied to finally have a face card in his silly little game. I was set up now to turn the tables on him and maybe even win.