Love is a Lie

CHAPTER 21

"Kacey, are you there?" I heard Rhys' voice in the receiving end. I froze, unable to breathe, to move.

Mark looked towards me, confused. I probably looked like a deer in headlights at the moment. Realization instantly registered on his face. He knew.

"Kacey, please don't hang up," Rhys begged with desperation in his tone. I gripped the cell in my hand with anger. I was feeling so many hidden emotions I hadn't known I still had,  run through my mind.

"I miss you so much and I know I'm probably the last person you want to hear from right now but I can't do this again. I need you. I have battled so hard with my demons. But every day I think about you. I think part of me knew you would be better without me and now looking back at it I wish I tried harder," he sighed, "Can we meet up? I really want to talk."

I still couldn't form words from my mouth. Trust me I tried. I inhaled a deep breath, willing my anxiety to hush and with as much strength as I could fathom, I replied, "No Rhys, I'm through with you."

Before waiting for him to say something I hung up. I walked towards where Mark, Sasha, and Maggie were standing. They all knew and they stood there watching me with concern.

"Are you okay?" Mark was the first one to ask. He hesitantly put his hand on my shoulder meant as a comforting gesture but I retreated.

"I'll be fine," I said curtly. Without waiting for them to say something else I said, "let's go."

They trailed behind me and I actually felt sorry for them. There I was ruining the night that was filled with so much fun only minutes ago. I felt so selfish. 

The entire twenty-minute drive back consisted of me thinking about Rhys. I couldn't stop myself even when I tried. So many memories flooded back into my body, consuming me. I wound down the windows, hoping it would help but it didn't. I still couldn't seem to breathe.

Mark tried to break the ice by asking me if I was okay but I lied and said yes. I wasn't willing to talk Rhys problems with my current boyfriend who was his ex-best friend. He wouldn't understand. 

We pulled up to my driveway and all I wanted to do at that moment was run upstairs and be alone. I didn't want to hurt Mark's feelings because I really did enjoy my night with him but at the same time, I needed to register what just happened. I turned to face him with the best attempt of a smile I could muster and said, "I had a nice time. Thank you."

He smiled, relief washing over him instantly. "I did too, you want me to come inside for a little while?"

"Um it's fine, I'm actually feeling a bit tired right now. See you tomorrow?"

"Sure." He made no attempt to hide the disappointment he was clearly feeling but before the guilt I was beginning to feel made me come to my senses I gave him a quick peck on the cheek and jumped out his Jimmy.

I felt like the weight of the world was laying on my shoulders as I ascended into the house. Rhys had no right to try to come into my mind and think I would just allow him back into my life with no barriers. 

It had been three months for Christ's sake. He didn't even attempt to contact me in those three months. He clearly didn't give a crap.

I fell for his manipulative ways once I wasn't going to again.

I opened my bedroom and flicked on the light. I had to hold my mouth shut to prevent the scream I was sure would have come out.

My heart thudded in my chest as I watched the intruder perched casually on my bed as if it was him.

"Get the hell out of here Rhys. I'll call the police." I threatened but my voice wasn't as convincing as I thought.

"You and I both know you won't."

God, I missed that voice. Salty, warm tears were already beginning to form.

"Why are you here? Don't you have Keira or whatever her name is back at your home waiting for you?"

"I know that's your way of snooping Kace, and no I haven't seen her since the day of the wedding."

"Oh," was all I could muster.

"Listen, I spent these past three months thinking about us. I know you needed your space and I just want you to know I'm not leaving again. If I have to fight for you till we're eighty and I'm pooping myself I will. I let go of you once already Kace, I'm not letting that happen again."

I studied his words, looking for the sincerity in them. For some reason, my mind wouldn't let me.

"I'm moving here. Nothing you say is going to change my mind."

"I don't think that's a good-" I began to interject him.

"Shut up you stupid girl. Let me speak." He said it in a joking way but it was stern enough that I pressed my lips into a tight line.

"I love you Kace."

The room suddenly swung, spinning around and around. I couldn't seem to keep grounded. My mind was just not processing his words.

"What?"

"I love you." He repeated, brushing a hand through his hair. He looked different. Smaller almost as if he'd lost weight. The lines of stress on his face were ever present.

"Stop lying."

"I love you. So much. I love you enough to want to spend every single day with you, through the good times and the bad. I want to wake up next to you and go to sleep with you every night. I want to have kids with you. I want to experience everything together."

Here Rhys was, professing his love towards me and I stood there not believing a single lie that came out of his mouth. All lies. I couldn't believe the audacity of him.

"Get out." I murmured.

"Kace please." He begged and it genuinely sounded real but again lies.

"Get out," I said with more force, proud that I was capable of hiding my actual weakness. Tears were streaming down my eyes.

"I'm not leaving Kace."

"Get out! Get out! Get out!" I screamed as I went to hit him off my bed. He took them, each blow without a flinch but let me continue until I couldn't anymore. Then he embraced me in his arms and let me cry. I don't know how long I cried for but I swore I had enough tears shed for my entire lifetime. 

I'm convinced I fell asleep angry, hurt, confused but still breathing in the scent I missed so much.