Break Me But Love Me

"Stop!" I screamed at them futilely. But they didn't seem to be hearing me. I cringed as Rhys' fist swung at Mark's face, a trickle of blood escaped his now broken skin. 

Mark attempted to swing back but Rhys was easily twice as strong as him and I knew if I didn't act fast Rhys was going to mess us Mark's face. 

"Please Rhys," I begged, tears in full force. "I love him please don't hurt him."

Rhys seemed to be in a trance as he threw a punch again and again at Mark's face. He was just laying there taking it and I hope to God he was still alive. 

I ran up to Rhys and with all the strength I could muster I pushed at him but he didn't flinch. I then swung my both arms against his back trying to get his attention off of Mark.

"What's all the commotion-" My dad began as he scanned the scene. "Stop right now!"

He flung at Rhys and yanked him off, restraining his arms against his back. I noticed beads of sweat dripping on his face, his hair tousled with it. A small incision was right above his left eyebrow but other than that he seemed untouched. Was he..crying? 

"Call the police Kacey." My dad ordered firmly. I stood there, still as a rock, unsure of what to do.

"Now Kacey."

I gulped and Rhys looked at me with pleading eyes. I didn't want to turn him in as much as I hated him in that very second. I still loved him deep down.

But then I turned my gaze towards Mark's lifeless body and froze. I would have thought Rhys killed him if it wasn't for the shallow rise and fall of his chest. He had blood coming from several places on his face and his nose looked slightly distorted. I wanted to gag. 

I ran up to him and put my hands on his shoulders, shaking. 

"Mark are you okay? Can you hear me? Please answer."

All I got in response was a soft moan. 

I pulled out my phone and dialed an ambulance. I then looked at Rhys once again as guilt washed across his face. He looked defeated and I almost felt sorry for him.

I looked at my phone once again and dialed the three numbers.

"Kace please," I heard Rhys say from behind me, so much pain in that voice. "This will ruin everything, please Kacey I can't go to jail again." 

Again?

"You deserve it for what you put my daughter through." My dad interjected from behind Rhys.

My heart was torn. As much as I didn't want to I knew I had to. But something deep down pulled at my heartstrings. I loved Mark but I was lying to myself if I said I didn't love Rhys still. I hated myself for even admitting it. Why was I so weak?

My hand trembled as I fumbled with the phone. I was about to push the buttons but I couldn't. I couldn't hurt the people I love and maybe that was my weakness but I knew I'd never forgive myself if Rhys got locked up. And by the looks of Mark it could be misinterpreted as an attempted homicide.

"Kacey, give me the phone." Before I knew it my father snatched it from my grasp. He did my dirty chore for me. I was relieved. Guilty, but relieved. 

"This is so messed up," Rhys said like a predator who realized he'd become the prey.

"I'm sorry Rhys!" I cried out, salty tears pouring out of me. Sorry for what, I didn't know. I just knew at that moment I felt Rhys' pain.

Mark was still conscious, his breathing labored but he was still breathing nevertheless. 

The room was omniscient. Rhys looked like his world just ended, I watched him as he kept watching the window. Oh God Rhys, please don't do something stupid.