Turned Tables

CHAPTER 11

The wedding was in four days and everything was in a haywire. My parents arrived last night and since then my mother's transformed into beast mode.

Between Rhys' parents and mine they decided on the venue and reception area. So I had no clue where, what time it was, how long it was going to be. All I got to have an opinion for was my wedding dress.

"What about this one?" I asked for the hundredth time. The dress I had on fit like a bodice and flared out at the ends. It was simple and elegant but lacked personality.

"It's okay," Sasha said as she pursed her lips. The store attendant looked like she'd had it with us.

"Yea not a favourite," my mother also chimed in.

I trudged back into the changing room, "There's only one left!"

"This better be it," I whispered to myself. I knew I loved it from the second I laid my eyes on it. The rest of the dresses were my mom and Sasha's pick and I didn't love any.

I was wearing a long mermaid dress. It was covered in tiny rhinestones from the top down with mesh material giving me the illusion of being sleeveless. It also had a low plunge. I swayed side to side looking at myself in the mirror, as I glowed in the satin material.

"I absolutely love it," Sasha squealed in excitement. My mother was speechless, silent tears running down her face.

"Yes I think this is the one."

Under the circumstances, I wasn't as happy as I should have been. I didn't feel excited that I'd found the dress or that my mother was crying because she was overjoyed. I was indifferent. I still didn't agree to this whole arranged marriage thing and I was still going to go down fighting.

We headed to a cute bakery down on the corner. Apparently we were supposed to be taste testing. And by 'we' I mean Rhys was supposed to come. Of course he probably had other plans, like shoving his dick down a girls pants. I didn't let my mind gravitate to that or care. He could do whatever he wanted. We both didn't want this marriage thing and I hoped that after this whole ordeal I would find a new place to live. Just because we were married didn't mean we had to pretend to be a happy, picture-perfect couple.

We walked in, a little bell rang signally to the workers new customers. I surveyed the decor and everything was pink. It was so chic that I wanted to mentally snap an image and use it for future inspiration.

"Welcome to Jardin, will you be dining in?" The store clerk asked us. Her perkiness was contagious.

"Hi, good day, we're here for the two o'clock taste testing. I made an appointment under Aspere," my mother recollected.

"Oh great, you can have a seat right here. Are you expecting anyone else to join you?" She asked and I knew that was her way of asking 'where's the groom?' I avoided eye contact with my mother as she turned back to the clerk and shook her head.

"That's no problem, I'll start bringing out the cakes for you to try. Which one's the bride?" She asked, looking to each one of our three faces.

"I am," I said sheepishly, still embarrassed that my groom hadn't arrived.

"Well I believe congrats are in order," she smiled enthusiastically to which I didn't even acknowledge, "I'll be right back."

Congratulations were for something we were proud of. Our accomplishments in life. This did not fall under that statement.

Soon after, the attendant brought a rolling table with five different flavour cakes, she stopped when something behind me caught her attention.

"Oh I thought you said you weren't expecting anyone else," she said surprisingly.

"We aren't," I corrected her.

"Ouch," I heard Rhys' voice say from behind me, "thought we were past this Kace. You can't treat me badly all the time. I love you too much."

I rolled my eyes and turned around to throw a death glare at him. Secretly, I was glad he'd proven me wrong and decided to show up.

"Aw so glad to see you two handling this whole situation like adults," my mother said to the both of us as he took a seat next to me.

We both looked at each other, a knowing smile on his face. At least there was something we could finally agree on. The woman was nuts.

"Let's get tasting," he said as he rubbed his thick hands together and picked up the tiny fork next to his plate.

Ten different cakes later and my stomach was beginning to bubble.

"I can't try another one," I moaned, rubbing circular hand movements on it.

"Same," Sasha agreed, looking like she was about to puke,"let's just choose the one you both agree on and get out of here."

"Honey, you liked the champagne cake one with the blackberry jelly I'm guessing," my mother assumed a little to confidently.

"No definitely the chocolate," Sasha butted in.

"Actually-"I began but was cut off by Rhys.

"Actually she's probably head over heels right now, still thinking of the white vanilla bean one. So I think we should get that one. Right baby?"

My mouth dropped open and I felt like I had to physically shut it. I didn't even care that he referred to me as baby in front of my mother. I was too busy wondering how out of all the people sitting down at that table he'd been the one to guess right.

"How'd you know that was my favourite flavour?" I asked skeptically.

"Because that's always been your favourite flavour. In everything," he winked, and finally it made sense why he always called me vanilla. I was shocked he'd remember after all those years. It never clicked. Not even my mother knew my favourite flavour which showed a lot.

"Yes," I managed to splur out,"yes I want the vanilla one."