Broken

Two months later

I walked up my front stairs. They seemed so foreign now. As if I'd never lived in this house for majority of my life. Everything felt different and I knew it was because I was a stranger now. Two months with barely few interactions with the life I left behind made walls grow in relationships. I'd known that when I kept on lengthening my trip of self identification. It was only supposed to be a few days, but a few days turned into weeks when I realised I wasn't ready to face anyone. I'd been a coward for running away and I know that now. Did I regret it? Hell no. It made me stronger in who I was.

I inhaled a deep breath and rang the doorbell.

My mother opened the door and my insides crushed. She had purple puffy bags at the bottom of her eyes, they looked like permanent fixtures on her beautiful face. She'd lost weight in the last two months. The guilt that ate me up was just getting worse.

"Oh my god," she covered her mouth, tears swelling up in her eyes, "Henry get here now!" She screamed for my father. She grasped me into a hug, squeezing my rib cage against hers. It was unexpected, my mother showing so much emotion. A foreign emotion being relayed to a foreigner.

"I missed you so much," she whispered and it was like I'd felt the pain behind the words. I hadn't realised how much emotional turmoil I had caused.

"Oh thank god," my father's words came out rushed. He embraced me the same way as my mother, as if I would have disappeared again from their grasps, "you had us worried sick."

I cringed, feeling too much emotion in this one silly reunion. They both stepped back, watching me, waiting for a reply as to where I'd been for the past two months. I wasn't ready to tell anyone that just yet.

"Come in," my mother offered, making me feel even more like a stranger. It was my house in the first place.  But the bitter taste on my tongue as I walked in told me differently. We entered the dining room and all three took a seat. My father was twiddling his fingers, unsure as to how to even begin to approach me. I prepared myself for the questions I was sure they were about to throw my way.

My mother was the one to break the ice, "Honey, we just wanted to say how sorry we are. We should have never forced an arranged marriage on you. These two months have made us realise how much family means. And business will never come over family ever again. We don't need an explanation and I think your father and I have accepted that you needed space. We just want to move forward, as a family."

Her speech surprised me and it took me a while to process all of her words. I was glad they didn't need an explanation and found it in their hearts to move on because I wasn't feeling to give them an excuse. I simply nodded, unsure as to how to reply. Again, a stranger in my own house. I couldn't shake off the feeling but I was willing to move forward as long as they were.

"Thank you." I forced the words out, my throat dry from the lack of water I had drank that day. My parents didn't seem like themselves and I wanted to know if it was all an illusion. My mother got up from the table, her face screwed from the weight of her joints as she pushed herself up. Before I knew it she was in and out of the kitchen bringing back a bottle of water for me.

Again I mumbled, "thank you." Those seemed to be the only words I knew how to say.

They left me to go to my room, well my old room but now current room again. I did try to not notice how my father passed my door several times more than necessary and I guessed he was just worried I'd disappear on them again. I wish I could have assured him that was not the case.

I charged my cell phone and then scrolled down to my best friend's name. I decided it was best I get it all done. Face all the people I left behind so it would crush me all at once. Like ripping off a bandage but on a still opened wound.

"Kace?" Sasha's voice trembled on the phone, and I could just imagine what she was thinking. My heart skipped a few beats before I responded.

"Hello Sash," I sighed, feeling another pile of guilt weigh on my shoulders.

"Oh Kace, why did you do that? Why did you leave us just like that? You could have contacted me, texted me, even written me a note. Something!" I felt the hurt behind her voice with that one. I had no good apology, no good reason for leaving them hanging. I just needed my space and that's how I got it.

"Sorry," I mumbled. Again it was like I forgot the words of the English language, the words I wanted to use just not coming out.

"Sorry's not good enough and I expect to hear an explanation when I come over. Tomorrow most probably," I took her words like a true champ, knowing I deserved every part.

"Of course," I lied, hating to betray my best friend's trust, "anyway I have to call Maggie as well. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay Kace, see you tomorrow." she said reluctantly and then a moment later, "Kace?

"Yes Sash?" I questioned, preparing myself for whatever she was about to say.

"I love you, always remember that."

I exhaled, feeling relief wash over my body, "love you too."

I hung up and called Maggie next. She had a similar reaction to Sasha, anger but relief buried in her voice. I told her I'd see her tomorrow as well.

I plopped on my bed, feeling the dust particles lift from the comforter's surface and circle the air around me. Three months of me gone and my parents couldn't even care to take care of my room.

The next person's name that crossed my mind was Mark's. I wasn't sure if I was ready for that conversation. Mark would see straight through me and I wasn't ready for that sort of confrontation, especially not on the phone. So I decided to ask him to come over.

When he did though, there was no visible reaction to seeing me. I knew Mark, so I'd expected this.

"Hi," I murmured, offering him a start of conversation.

"Hi," he mumbled. I pointed at the couch signalling for him to sit down with me.

"I'm glad to see you Lace," after several antagonising minutes, he offered. I heard the strain in his voice, as he closed his eyes, squeezing the pain away, "I'm glad you're alive."

I hadn't known any one of my loved ones would think the worst. Far less me being dead somewhere. I probably should have sent a text just to update them I was still breathing.

"I'm sorry Mark," I began, again trying to find the damn words, "I just...had to."

"I know," he said gently, resting his hand on mind. Understanding loomed in his eyes and I was instantly grateful.

The tension dissolved between us ad he told me what he had been up to for the past two months in my abscense. He was officially living back in Florida and was happy I was too. He also never asked about what I had been for the past two months and I didn't offer it up. I wasn't ready for that.

"Have you spoken to Rhys?" He asked too casually. It was obvious he wanted to know.

"No," I said as I ignored the sour taste on the tip of my tongue, "and I don't plan on."

I knew I'd eventually have to face the person who broke my heart. The past two months, I had used it to heal, to finally get over him. Did it work? I had hoped so but love works in mysterious ways.

"Good," was his only response.