New School Blues

CHAPTER 3

It was the next day and the sun shone through the window of my new bedroom. My head was pounding erratically and I felt sore all over. I glanced towards the alarm clock that read five minutes to seven and groaned internally. Last night's events flooded through my head and I cringed as I remembered each moment.

I lazily sat up and rubbed my aching eyes. I really wasn't in the mood to start my first day at school but I still forced myself to get up and amble towards my clothing. I held in a shriek as I saw a sprawled body lying on the floor, almost making me trip over it.

Rhys was still wearing his clothes from the night before. He looked so peaceful and kind of cute with his bed hair tumbled on top of his head. A smile flashed across my face when I realised that he was sleeping on the floor, for me. It was obvious I didn't want to sleep with him and I guessed he was doing it in my favour. But the sheet spread on the floor didn't look comfortable one bit and it made me feel guilty.

I carefully stepped over him and stumbled to the dresser, digging to find my pair of skinny jeans. I looked on top of it to see the polo shirt with the school's logo on it which I guessed was mine

. "C'mon Rhys wake up." I shook his shoulder and he just bobbed from left to right, "Rhys we have to go to school."

I quickly got bathed and dressed in the bathroom. I examined myself in the mirror and tucked my shirt into my jeans since it was way too long and combed my wet hair back. As I exited I saw Rhys stretching and turned around to face me.

"How'd you sleep?" I was surprised at his calmness.

"Good I guess, my head's pounding though...What about you?"

"My neck's a little sore but I guess I'm fine." He replied, rubbing the back of his neck. Which made feel guilty all over again.

"Listen..." I started, wanting to find the right words, " I know you slept on the floor for me and I'd just like to thank you and...That you can sleep on the bed too. I don't mind."

He smiled, not his cocky normal smirk, but a serene one that reached his sparkling blue eyes. Wait, was this the same Rhys who was set out to make my life hell? I tore my gaze from his, not comforted by the feelings I saw materialize over his face.

The smell of pancakes engulfed my nose. It reminded me of every sunday morning at home. Waking up to my dad cooking it, making a mess of the kitchen in the process. A stack of them was on the counter while I saw Mark with his back towards me as he fried something on the stove.

I debated if I should have just walked back up the stairs or faced him. I decided with the latter knowing I couldn't chicken out. I needed to apologise.

"Hi, chef," I began timidly. Mark's shoulders stiffened and he slowly, agonisingly turned to face me, "I just wanted to say how sorry I am about last night. I don't know what came across. I wasn't myself. Please forgive me... I hope I didn't cause too much trouble between you and Kiera."

He seemed to ponder for a moment, "It hurt being used as a pawn Lace, I wouldn't lie. But I'm willing to start fresh if you are. I like Kiera a lot and want it to work out."

I couldn't admit it hurt hearing him talk about her like that and not me. Because truth was it did. All I did was nod, and took a seat on the bar stool placed by the island.

There was a moment of silence before he eased the tension, "you can't really say I'm a chef but I do cook some great tasting eggs."

"You got to teach me one day, I'm not that great of a cook. I end up burning everything I touch." I grinned

"I remember. You use to only be able to make toast. I use to eat your eggs and want to throw up in the process."

"Why didn't you tell me you jerk!"

He shrugged his shoulders and laughed,"Couldn't break your heart."

The irony was a few months later he did. Kiera staggered into the kitchen, still wearing her nightgown. The first thing she did was smile at Mark genuinely and I saw the returning adoration linger in his eyes. They love each other, I thought to myself as jealousy hit me like a bomb. She then faced me, not even trying to hide her disgust.

"Listen Keira..." I exhaled, "I'd just like to say I'm sorry and I really would understand if you can't forgive me. But I'd like to start afresh."

"I forgive you. Just forget it," she dismissed me and I couldn't help but feel it was only because Mark was there.

"Rhys! Breakfast is ready!" Keira chimed.

After a long half an hour of them getting dressed we finally descended from the top floor and hopped into one expensive looking cars that I probably couldn't name if I tried.

The ride was awfully quiet since we really had nothing to discuss. Keira was obviously still not talking to me even though she forgave me and everything but I felt the tension in the air as Rhys and Mark glowered inconspicuously at each other.

"We're here." Keira announced as the school came into view. I practically jumped out the car, not wanting to stay there a second longer.

Seeing the huge school in person I was a miniscule piece of detail in the flock of students walking through the main entrance. My heart started to stutter as butterflies swarmed in my stomach. On second thought I wish I stayed in the car a little longer.

Keira and the two boys practically disappeared ahead, leaving me by myself. This is it, I thought to myself and made my way up the stairs. I walked up to the front desk and a lady with big glasses greeted me. I quickly told her I was a new student and she gave me my schedule.

1st period- Algebra

2nd period- Chemistry

3rd period- Drama/ Film

4th period- Biology

-LUNCH-

5th period- French

6th period- English

7th period- Art

I groaned as I read through the list which my parents chose and I had no say. Half of the subjects I didn't even like. I hurried to my first period as the bell rang and almost got lost along the way. When I entered I rolled my eyes as I saw Keira and Rhys sitting with a bunch of students surrounding them. For once I wished I was stuck with any other two people in the entire world.

Keira glanced at me and the crowd around her followed her gaze. Everyone including her glared at me and what was worst I didn't even know one of them so I could tell that she wasn't over what I did or she just hated me.

I sighed and made my way to the vacant chair at the back of the class. I could tell this was going to be a long day.