Lies allow us to live

Hi guys, thank you to everyone who has voted and added my book to their reading list. You don't even know how much that means to me. It's because of you guys I am willing to write so quickly. So, I'm posting two chapters tonight just to say my thank you. 

Just a reminder to please vote if you haven't, it really helps me to be motivated to keep on writing.

X Dipsey

Two days before the wedding- Night

If you're thinking of having a wedding and want to do a rehearsal brunch or dinner, don't. That's if you're having an arranged marriage and you hate the idea of even having to be put in the spotlight. Especially if you have to make up a speech in front of a bunch of people and you have a serious public speaking phobia. Just don't have a wedding in general, they're a lot of stress.

I sat at the front of the room, next to my soon-to-be-husband. He looked like something was stuck on his mind, I figured it was nerves and I didn't blame him, we were both anticipating the moment approaching where we'd both choke.

"Here you go ma'dam," the waiter placed the third course in front of me, dessert. It was a chocolate mousse and I wanted to gag. How could not one soul in this whole planning not know that I hated mousse.

I frowned as I looked down at it and then to everyone digging into theirs. I pushed mine away from me, noticing I was already too full and nervous to eat anything else anyway.

After this was cleared away, it would be time to talk. I still wasn't ready. Rhys was staring intently at his, taking small spoonfuls of it.

"Nervous?" I teased, with a pity of a half laugh. He looked at me with the most charming smile, something I'd never get accustomed to.

"Nope, never," he put a spoonful slowly into his mouth as he watched me. I rolled my eyes at his seductive attempt. "But don't choke on your speech," he added making me want to strangle the living daylight out of him.

Before I knew what was happening, someone clinked at a glass from the side of the room. Of course, it was my overbearing mother who was way too excited for this whole ordeal. There were around forty circular tables in the room, with at least eight persons on each. Each pair of eyes turning towards her and I knew eventually to me. So basically, I was about to embarrass myself in front of thirty two hundred people. No pressure.

"Goodnight, thank you for coming to my daughter and future son-in-law's rehearsal dinner. I expect to see all of you on Saturday as well," she began saying on the microphone, "and now we're going to have the speeches from the bride and groom."

"You're up kiddo," Rhys whispered to me, and I felt the smirk on his face without even looking at him.

With trembling hands, I stood up and held the flimsy piece of paper which all my writing was placed on. Clearing my throat, which I may add was not the most attractive thing to do but my brain had fogged up, I looked at the mass of strangers' faces staring at me. All their attention was solely on me and I hated it. I had never been good at public speaking and I knew this wasn't going to be an exception.

"Goodnight ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming out tonight," I mimicked my mother's introduction, however my voice came out shaky, "I won't bore you with a long speech so don't worry, I'm going to make it as short as Rhys lasts in bed," I joked, pausing so that people could laugh. Nobody did though and I wanted to bury myself alive at that moment, humiliated with myself, "I want to thank you all for coming, wait I said that already, uh, I may not know everyone's face here but I know you mean a lot to my family if you are. Rhys, I'm glad we're getting to start this chapter together and I hope we'll find everlasting love till death do us part. I'll cherish Saturday for the rest of my life. Thank you all of you, I love you." I finished feeling the impersonal speech linger in my mind. I had looked up things to say on a speech on the internet, don't judge me, but Google failed me once again.

Rhys smiled, knowing I lied throughout that sad excuse of a ode, and stood up. He didn't have a piece of paper or anything in his hands, he simply folded them one on top the other and then proceeded to speak.

"I must thank my beautiful bride for that lovely speech," I cringed as he talked towards me, knowing full well that that speech didn't deserve an ounce of appreciation and then continued, "you all are very lucky to experience Kacey's tale of marriage. Not mine because no matter what anyone says I'm not deserving of her. She's the star of this show and I'm happy to have you touch my soul Kace," he said it while looking at me, "I thought I was able to get enough of you, I was wrong. I need to be selfish Kace. You're the only one for me and I need you there. I hope you'll love me one day as much as I love you. I can't wait to grow old and make mini Kaceys with you."

I gulped, feeling squeamish in my seat while everyone laughed at his end joke. I couldn't bare to keep Rhys' intense gaze as he stared at me. How was he able to convey something with so much meaning? He must've been one hell of an actor because it seemed like he almost meant it.

"Aw, what a lovely speech Rhys," my mother noted, "isn't he a sweetheart everyone? Thank you Rhyson. Everyone now we'll have the social aspect of this night and I welcome you all to the dancefloor before we head out. Drink whatever your heart's desire."

Rhys smirked at me as chatter filled the room, "dance with me?"

I groaned internally as he didn't really give me a choice. He pulled me up from my seat, my hand in his, as we headed to the centre of the floor The lights were dimmed, the music soft and the ambience warm.

He held my waist as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I welcomed the scent of his body, lingering in my nose. We glided from side to side, trying to find the right tempo with each other.

I rested my head on his shoulder and said, "impressive speech Rhys. Almost had me fooled there."

"How do you know it was a lie?" He asked from above my head shooting me a dazzling smile that I saw out of the corner of my eye.

"Oh please, you aren't capable at actually feelings those emotions," I rationalised, thinking about how Rhys would never feel genuine emotions towards me, "We'd never be good enough for each other. Plus I'd be a fool to marry you but...you're still a great friend though....besides, we're still on for the plan right?" I kept my voice hushed, hoping nobody would glance twice in our directions.

He took a while before he replied as his grip loosened on me, and when he did it felt cold, "Yes Kacey. Sure, we are." We danced in silence until eventually we didn't.