Cheated

One day before the wedding

I thought I was having a panic attack...or several for that matter.

"Just breathe," Sasha had stressed at me, holding my arms steady. I was currently looking at my ice cream placed in front of me. It was melting rapidly, the liquid running down the cup.

"I don't know what it is but something feels wrong," I told my friend for the millionth time that day, "I feel like something's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong Kace, you just need to take a breather and relax. Why don't we figure out what's really been on your mind all day?" She offered as she took a scoopful of her chocolate cream.

"Okay," I huffed between breaths, willing my mind to function, "Ask away."

"When did this nervousness begin? This morning?" Like a true therapist, Sasha was acting.

"Yes when I woke up next to Rhys and almost died thinking this was going to be for the rest of my life."

"So you really don't like Rhys then?" She pondered, placing a hand to support her face.

I contemplated her words, really thinking it through the truth is i don't know what to feel. I feel something pulling at my heartstrings but I didn't know if it's pulling me away from him or towards him.

"Well he's in love with you, the poor sucker". She scoffed, twirling her spoon in her now melted cream. "Go easy on him in the marriage life."

My skin between my eyebrows creased as I processed her words, "Rhys doesn't even like me. He never will."

"Are you dumb Kace? Anyone could tell from a mile away that the boy cares for you deeply. I see the way he looks at you when you're not looking," she said while staring at me flabbergasted. "That speech yesterday should have told you it all." 

"I thought he was just a really good actor," I protested, feeling suddenly horribl.e I had made fun of his speech. If what she was saying was true I was a total douche. Rhys liked me? Maybe even loved me? I felt heavy with emotion, my heart filled with sadness as I never saw it. All this time he loved me and I hadn't noticed the signs. I never allowed myself to think of a life where Rhys actually had feelings towards me, maybe I never registered my own feelings because of it.

Did I love him the same? I thought back to our childhood, to the times we use to play dressup. The times he was spiderman and I, of course, Mary Jane. We had so much pointless, stupid fun back then. Then I remembered high school when it all changed but also didn't. He would protect me from every guy, the ones I didn't like and even the ones I did. I hated him for that but loved him as a friend for caring. We'd still do every and anything together. I remeberd how empty I'd felt for those three years without him. How lonely I'd felt waking up every day not to talk to my best friend. I remember how it felt to see him when he came back into my life. The butterflies he left fluttering inside me even though I had hated him. The way I felt when he came into my proximity or even walked into a room. I automatically wanted to go closer to him, to smell the smell of his cologne, it was addicting. I thought of the pier and how the kiss we had had felt so magical, it was full of so much unspoken words and promises I hadn't even realised.

Did I love Rhys?

I realised in that moment, after being blind for so long, I did.

"I need to go," I blurted out to Sasha as I got up from my seat and threw my bag over my shoulder.

"Where you going?" She screamed out at me as I ran down the street to find a taxi.

"To get my man!"

THE PENTHOUSE WAS quiet as I crept in, it was late in the evening and I prayed Rhys was home. I bit my lip trying to contain the happiness I felt to know Rhys love me. He actually loved me. I would tell him how much I loved him as well and how we'd get married still and screw it, we'd find happiness. Because the truth is, Rhys made me happy, through the ups and downs he will always be there.

I skipped up the stairs towards our room. I didn't hear any noise and tried to hide the disappointment I was beginning to feel, thinking he wasn't even here. I paused at the door, wondering if I should have knocked it being our room and all. I went against it and pushed the door opened. I couldn't see inside, the lights were off. I did recall however, hearing a noise in the distance. Was that moaning?

"Rhys?" I croaked out, afraid suddenly. I flicked on the light, hoping it would help me see the inside.

"Shit," I heard a female voice shrek and I turned my attention to the bed. It could'nt be. 

"Kiera?"

"What the fuck Kacey? Get the fuck out," She ordered me, like a doe stuck in headlights I stood frozen in my spot. I looked at her bare back, following the trace of it down and noticed she was sitting on top of someone, naked. Rhys's eyes found mine and I knew mine looked broken. It matched the way my heart was feeling in the moment. 

"You dick," I managed to choke out, the taste of ice emitted in it. I didn't know how I'd been able to but I ran out the other way slamming the door shut behind me. I swore I heard Rhys call out from behind me but my body and mind were so numb, nothing was registering. The tears were flowing as I ran outside. I just kept on running and I didn't stop until I couldn't stand. I didn't go back for the rest of the night. 

I never wanted to.