Blast from the Past

Prologue

"What do you mean?" I sang along with my two best friends pathetically. We all started to laugh at how horrible we all sounded. It was so bad, Sasha began to snort. And when Sash snorts you know it's a hell of a funny thing. I tried to get a grip on my breathing and managed to somehow lower the music.

"So what's the deal with your parents, they've been very shady lately?" Sasha asked. Maggie nodded eagerly, waiting for my reply.

"I thought it was only me that noticed. But I have no clue. I swear it's like they're planning something. My 18th birthday is coming up, maybe they're throwing a surprise something for me." I replied with a shrug. Truth was I overheard them talking about moving but I didn't want to tell them and worry them.

"Just remember Kace that you can tell us anything, " said Sasha with a hint of concern looming in her eyes. Sasha knew when something was bothering me, I don't know how but it was like she read my mind sometimes.

"Kace come for a second," my mom called from downstairs interrupting my train of thoughts.

"I'll be back." I groaned to them and with a heave I was off my bed and running down the stairs.

Once I reached her I realised she was busy preparing for a huge meal, "We have some visitors coming over just now for dinner. So be a dear and get ready. Tell your friends that you'll see them soon. Give them a big hug for me."

"Uh okay?" I responded, finding her request strange, "Who's coming?"

"Just the Kentons," she replied. She seemed a bit nervous but it was weird because the Kentons came over every week practically. They were my parents' best friends.

"Go get ready and then come down. They'll probably be here in the next half an hour."

I said my goodbyes to my friends. Watching as they retreated down the sidewalk from my bedroom window. I then got ready and was fixing my hair when the doorbell rang.

"Hi Karen, Phil," My mom air kissed the two figures that walked into the foyer.

"Hi Mr and Mrs Kenton," I greeted them as well as they both embraced me in a tight squeeze. I'd known them since birth and it was nice feeling like I had them as second parents. They treated me like their daughter.

"Shall we go eat?" My mother clapped her hands almost like she was rushing to be somewhere else. She looked fidgety for the entire time and I swore I saw small beads of sweat run down her forehead. What was really going on with her.

I took my seat at the usual spot on the left side of the table.

"Where's Curt?" Mrs Kenton asked my mom about my dad.

"Running late as usual, but we could start without him," She replied already picking up dishes to serve. I noticed there were six places set instead of the usual five. Immediately my heart rate sped up, a wave of nausea settling over me.

"Um mom, why is there a sixth place set?" I asked, already knowing I didn't want to hear her response.

She froze mid air as she was placing a heaping scoop of rice on Mr Kenton's plate. The Kentons both looked at me but I couldn't read their expressions.

"Because I'm joining in on the happy family dinner," a voice I hadn't heard in three years and didn't want to hear for a very long time said. I felt sick.

Rhys walked to the seat closest to me and the pungent smell of his cologne suffocated me.

"Missed me Kace?" He whispered devilishly, a wide grin plastered on his face.