16: Dawn

Warmth tickled Pip's body.
His eyes were cleansed and his nasal passages were cleaned out. His body was layered in Leo's  snug arms. Pip did not know why but he didn't want to unravel himself from the other boy, but  he had to. When he unlatched himself his body felt cold and he was left with yearning.

"Sorry I got snot all over your shirt."

Leo smiled.

"It was a bit plain before anyway, it's my new favourite." The boy beamed.

Pip felt tightness rust his shoulders. Feeling a little shaky Pip's gaze settled on Leo's bright smile. A storm could have blown their town away but Pip would be too busy to notice. Eventually his mother walked into the kitchen, the smell of smoke wafting through the air.

"You alright Pip?" His mum asked.

He nodded and got to his wobbly legs.  His mother stood before him with a tired face and red eyes. Pip wished he could be a better son to her, she was the most amazing person he knew.  Pip could tell her arms wanted to hold him but he also knew she had learnt how much that hurt. Leo stood up beside him.

"I think we should talk, Pip." Claudia said shakily.

Pip looked to the ground. He watched the lines run through the tiles. He made sure his feet were enclosed in the squares instead of laid across the cracks. He shook his head. Pip did not know how to feel, he didn't even know what to pretend to feel. His limbs were heavy and his still burned with the flame of touch, but he didn't know what the symptoms meant.

"We don't have to talk now but at some point you're going to have to speak someone." His mother whispered.

Wire laced his muscles to tight and an untuned sound plummeted in his head. Not sure of what to do; Pip fled the kitchen and raced to his bedroom.

Pip sat before his keyboard. Maybe he didn't understand his emotions but the different melodies  did. His fingers unwound themselves from his string of thoughts. Ice melted and cascaded through the keys and a mixture of intensity and warmth erupted. The sounds raced through his bloodstream, quieted his mind and swept him away from his world. A world of rich notes encompassed him. For those fleeting moments he understood everything.

The existence of a displeasing noise awoke him. He turned to find Leo. His face was unreadable, beautiful and extremely confusing. His eyes were enough to distract him from the embarrassing revelation for a few seconds.

Pip would never swear, but SHIT!

Pip closed his eyes. If only he had eavesdropped more on vulgar conversations then he would be able to distract himself with an infinite dictionary of swear words. He wanted once again to be woven in Leo's arms instead of wrapped in a blanket of discomfort.

"You can open your eyes, I assure you I'm not naked." Leo mumbled.

Pip opened his eyes for the soul purpose of rolling them. A smile warped Leo's lips and Pip was glad for it's blazing return. The boy walked up to him.

"I know you're embarrassed but you can check this off the list." Leo murmered.

Pip shot up and searched for the list, a sudden boost of ease shot into his arm.

"That wha- what you did with- whatever you just did was amazing." Leo stuttered.

Pip's brain froze and his movement was halted by the strange force clouding his system. Words were always difficult but bridge of time they didn't exist. The only chord on the tip of his tongue couldn't be voiced.

"Thank you." Pip choked out.

Leo shook his head.

"Don't just promise you'll play for me again." The boy spoke, reality running too deeply in his voice.

Pip hid the flustering sonata pouring through his cheeks. Once he found the list he ticked off the task with great pleasure. He sat on the floor. Leo sat beside him. Tones of smoke curled through the air and warmth rolled down Pip's back.

"You smell like smoke." Pip said ironing the wrinkles in his stomach out of his voice.

"Your mum offered me a smoke." He smiled, of course.

Pip let a grin tangle his lips.

"She must love you. She hasn't asked anyone since my thirteenth birthday." He chuckled.

Before he could think another line of thoughts his body was tied up by Leo. He could hear the melody his stomach was playing and feel the sizzling reverberation on his skin. The boys eyes flooded through his neck.

"Happy birthday, fish." The words bounced off his skin.

Leo slipped away. Once again he was filled to the brim with something so perplexing it made his skin burn. Leo plucked something from his pocket. He held a piece paper in his hand and admired it.

"Pip, please if you need me please call, whenever even if it's three in the morning." Leo  spoke.

Pip swallowed.

"Why would you do that?" Pip asked.

Heat danced in Pip's throat as he waited for an answer.

"Because I care." Leo looked to the ground.

Pip tried to find his eyes but they were pinned to the floor.

"Why?"

Leo's head darted upwards suddenly and a strange chuckle took over.

"Why?" Leo repeated sounding stunned.

Pip raised a brow.

"Pip, your- you're, you're you, that's the most amazing thing you can be." Leo shook his head.

Pip was stunned. His breathing stopped his body stopped completely.

"I have to go and pick up Murphy from one of his benders but," Leo spoke.

He smiled and handed him the piece of paper.

"Please let it out, happy birthday." Leo said.

The words lingered in the air softly. Leo stood up and left, leaving Pip confused.