CHAPTER 50

ALMOST A DAY LATER, AVERY WAS RELEASED AND SHE WAS BROUGHT INTO PRESIDENT DANTE'S OFFICE FOR QUESTIONING

She explained that she tried to stop Clarke, but the handcuffs kinda hindered that. She didn't know what Clarke's plan was, but only knew she wanted to get out of Mount Weather.

After that, Beckett came to lead her back to the dorm,

"Is it true?" Beck asked her, "Clarke escaped Mount Weather?"

"Mhmm." Avery hummed, tugging at her sleeves nervously,

"Why didn't you go with her?" Beckett questioned as he stepped in front of her, stopping her from going anywhere,

She stared up at him, "Why would I want to leave this place? I don't have to worry abut where my next meal is coming from, I have shelter, safety. Out there you have to survive. In here, you just have to live."

Beckett held her stare, "I thought you didn't trust this place."

"Trust? No. But there's no question that I won't starve or freeze to death in here." Avery replied before walking around him.

Avery walked back into the dorm room and everyone surrounded her, "Avery!" Jasper and Monty wrapped their arms around her, "We were worried. That fight was intense."

"Yeah, they told us that you and Clarke were brought into the psych ward for evaluation." Jasper continued, "Where's Clarke?"

Avery looked over the swarm of teenagers to make eye contact with Beck. He shook his head at her, "Um, she's still in there. For security reasons."

Avery knew that she needed to wait to tell them the truth. But until then, she'll protect them from the Mountain Men.

"I can't believe she flipped out on you." Someone commented,

"Yeah, she's crazy."

"She's not crazy." Avery said as she walked over to her bed, "She's just... scared."

That night, Avery couldn't sleep. What if Clarke didn't get out? What if they captured her and were using her for her blood? And even if she did escape, how was she going to find the people of the Ark?

Part of her wished she would've gone with Clarke. But the other part was grateful she was still here. She could do something that the others couldn't do. Protect the remaining 100. She knew things that they didn't.

Breakfast the next day was lonely. She kept thinking about Clarke, almost expecting her to be beside her.

But she wasn't. And they never told anyone what happened to her.

That was the worst thing, not knowing. Perhaps she'll never know.

Monty tried to make conversation with her, but she shut it down. She wasn't quite in the mood yet.

Mason made his way over, wanting to play BattleShip with her. Avery left Monty to go find an empty table to play with the kid.

"I heard about your friend." Mason commented as they set up their ships, "Clarke? She escaped the mountain."

Avery stared at the boy, "Wait... like she got out? Alive?"

He nodded, "Yeah. They sounded pretty mad."

"Are... are they going after her?" Avery questioned,

"Don't think so." Mason answered,

She narrowed her eyes at him, "How do you know all this?"

"I'm a really good listener." He replied,

Avery smirked at him, "Yeah, you are."

He smiled at her, "B4."

Avery laughed, "You're really good." She looked over her shoulder to see Jasper leaving the room with two guards with him.

Once she and Mason finished their game, with Mason winning, Avery went to find Jasper. She found him in the dorm and confronted him,

"What did Dante tell you?" Avery asked, making sure they were alone,

"Clarke left the mountain." Jasper stated, turning to look at her. When Avery didn't say anything, he narrowed his eyes at her, "You knew?"

"Of course I know. I told her to go." Avery responded, "I just wasn't expecting him to tell you she left."

"So she really did abandon us." Jasper scoffed,

"She didn't abandon us." Avery hissed, "She went to go get help."

"What do you mean?" The boy asked,

Avery stepped closer to the boy and lowered her voice, "Jasper... they've been kidnapping Grounders and draining their blood."

Jasper stared at her with wide eyes and Avery had a feeling he didn't believe her, "How do you know this?"

"I saw it." Avery answered, "They had dozens of them in cages. Two of them were strung up with tubes stabbed into them, Jasper. This place isn't what we thought it was."

Jasper shook his head, "Who cares what they do to the Grounders? They tried to kill us. The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

"Jasper... I'm starting to think that we have different enemies." Avery stated before leaving the room.