CHAPTER 39

AVERY WATCHED AS DOZENS OF EXPLOSION LITTERED THE SKY

AVERY WATCHED AS DOZENS OF EXPLOSION LITTERED THE SKY. Her eyes were pulled away when hoots and hollers resonated in the trees outside the walls. 

Clarke and Avery spotted a light coming through the tunnels and Finn popped out. Clarke and the boy hugged as Avery walked over, "What did you do, Spacewalker?"

"I kicked the hornet's nest." He answered,

"You brought the Reapers?" Clarke asked,

"I just bought us some time." Finn responded, "How's Raven?"

Avery shook her head as they went back towards the dropship, "She's not good."

"And the rockets aren't ready yet. Jasper's working on them now." Clarke continued,

"Wait, Jasper? What's plan B?"

"Jasper was plan B."

The three of them gathered around an unconscious Raven, Clarke injecting her with the coagulant. The sound of violence came closer and Avery stood to go see what was happening,

"Clarke," Miller walked in, holding his shoulder, "They're taking down the gate."

Jasper's head popped out, "Good. Because I did it... I think."

"I'm closing that door."

"Wait! We've still got people out there." Clarke stopped Miller,

"Bellamy's not back yet." Avery stated in a worried tone, looking out to see the gate was pulled down,

Clarke shot past her, "All right, Jasper did it, get everybody, get inside now!"

Avery watched in horror as she crouched behind the water barrel, looking for Bellamy. There was so much chaos. The blood, the gun fire, the explosions. It was all too much.

"There he is!" Finn pointed towards the tunnel and there he was.

Bellamy.

"Bellamy, run!" Avery screamed,

The oldest Blake picked up a gun and began fighting off one of the bigger Grounders. Tears streamed down her face, "No!"

Finn grabbed onto a rifle and fired at the Grounder before running ahead, "Stop, Finn!" Clarke called out.

Finn tackled the Grounder to the dirt and the two began double-teaming him.

Miller began tugging on Clarke's arm, "Clarke, you can't save everybody. Let's go!"

"They're all dying." Avery whispered.

"Avery!" Clarke grabbed onto her, "We need to go!"

"What about Bellamy?!" Avery fought, "We need him!"

"We have to fire the rockets now!" Clarke tugged her hand, "I'm sorry, Avery, we need to go!"

Avery made eye contact with Bellamy as she stood in front of the door and it began to close, "I'm sorry." She whispered and he nodded,

Suddenly there was a loud scream and Avery was tackled to the ground inside the dropship. Anya went to stab her but Avery dodged, kicking the leader away before standing. The delinquents behind her raised their own weapons, "Anya, you can't win."

"Jasper, now." Clarke commanded and Jasper flipped the switch, but nothing happened. The began to hear banging and yelling from outside the ship.

Anya let out a war cry but Miller quickly knocked her over the head, sending her to the floor. The others began kicking and hitting her and Avery tried to stop them, "Stop! She's already down."

"She deserves to die!" Miller went to stab her and Avery quickly caught his arm, 

"No! We are not Grounders." She growled at all of them, and they all halted.

The dropship shook as it took off. It was only in the air for a few moments before aggressively hitting the ground once again.

Tears filled her eyes and Avery hit the ground hard. Everyone outside the dropship was dead. That included Finn. That included Bellamy.

They waited a few hours, just to make sure all the fires were out. But once the doors opened, Avery rushed outside.

She wished she hadn't.

All the green, all the life that used to be inside their walls, were gone. Charcoaled bodies littered the ground, along with abandoned weapons.

There were so many of them.

Avery walked over to where she saw Bellamy last. But there were so many bodies, and with the amount of damage there were, she couldn't tell which one was his.

"May we meet again." Avery whispered, 

She had lost everyone. Her mother. Her father. And now Bellamy. Avery didn't know if she could continue without him. She needed him.

A hissing sound resonated in the camp and red smoke filled the air.

"Mountain men." Avery heard Anya stated.

The air began to thicken and Avery couldn't see. The smoke filled her lungs and she began to cough before collapsing. She was dizzy and couldn't see straight.

Avery spotted a light in the distance and a figure appeared in front of her.

"Bellamy?" She mumbled before collapsing completely into darkness.