CHAPTER 22

AVERY FELT WARM. She didn't know if that was because of what went down with Bellamy or if she was coming down with something. 

"Oh, my sweet baby." Avery turned to see someone she hasn't seen since she was a child.

Her mother.

"Momma?" Avery took a step forward, "I don't... I don't understand. How are you here? You were floated."

Her mother smiled at her, "A mother never truly leaves her child." She walked towards Avery, "Look at you, my baby girl. So grown up. So beautiful." Her mother touched her long brown hair, "I'm so proud of you."

"I'm on the ground, momma." Tears filled Avery's eyes, "I dreamed hard enough."

"Yes, you did, baby." She brushed her hair behind Avery's ear, "Just don't fly too close to the sun." Her mother's smile dropped, "Its a shame that it won't last."

Avery stared at her in confusion, "What?"

Her mother disappeared and in front of her was Dax, holding a rifle, "I said, shut up, bitch." He hit in over the head and knocked her unconscious.

When she woke up, her head ached. Avery sat up and rubbed her head before remembering what happened, "Dax." She gasped.

Avery immediately got up and grabbed her rifle before running out of the depot. She looked around, trying to figure out where he would've gone or where Bellamy was. Then she heard yelling in the distance.

She ran as fast as she could, gun in hand, through the trees. Avery found Dax standing above Bellamy, his rifle aimed at the man. She immediately raised her gun and aimed it as his back, "Put it down, Dax."

The boy turned his rifle to her, "Should've stayed down there, Avery. I tried not to kill you, but here you are, and Shumway said no witnesses."

Avery glanced down at Bellamy, "What is he talking about?"

"Shumway set it up. He gave me the gun to shoot the Chancellor." Bellamy answered,

"Walk away now, and I won't kill you." Dax stated,

"Put... it... down." Avery stated calmly.

But on the inside, she was scared. Her aim was crap. If it came down to it, Dax could easily overcome her.

"Your choice." Dax stated,

"You killing Bellamy won't do anything, Dax. Everyone at camp will find it suspicious if we don't return but you do." Avery wanted to get him to lower the gun. She didn't want to hurt anybody.

Dax let out a laugh, "And who's going to stop me? You? You won't shoot that gun, Peacemaker. That's not who you are."

Avery went to pull the trigger, aiming behind Dax just so she could try and scare him. But her bullet was a dud. It didn't fire. Dax fired his gun and Avery hid behind the nearest tree, just barely dodging the bullet.

"No!" Avery tried to ignore the struggle going on behind her as she reloaded the gun.

Once it was reloaded, she stepped back out and found Dax on top of Bellamy, punching him repeatedly. Her mind went blank as she held up the rifle and shooting. Dax let out a gasp before falling to the ground.

She stared at his dead body, his eyes still open. She did that. She.. ended someone's life.

"I killed him." She whispered, dropping the gun on the ground. Avery leaned against the tree, keeping her eyes on Dax as she slid to the ground. Bellamy rushed over to her as she began to shake, "I just wanted to stop him. I didn't want to kill him."

He wrapped his arms around her as she began to cry.

"You're ok." Bellamy whispered, holding her to him. 

"I didn't mean it." Avery muttered, "I didn't mean it."

"I know you didn't." He responded, leaning his head back against the tree.

They sat there for a while, Bellamy trying to calm her down. Once the tears dried, Avery looked up at the oldest Blake, looking at all the cuts and blood on his face, "Are you okay?"

He scoffed, "No, I'm not." He sighed, "My mother... if she knew what I've done, who I am... she raised me to be better, to be good..."

"Bellamy..." Avery began but he continued,

"And all I do is hurt people." Bellamy sniffed, a tear falling from his eye, "I'm a monster."

"Hey," She reached up and forced him to look at her, "You've saved me more times than I can count. You may be a total jerk half the time, but I need you. We all need you. None of us would've survived this place if it wasn't for you. You want forgiveness, fine, I'll give it to you. You're forgiven, ok, but you can't run, Bellamy. You have to come back with me. You have to face it."

"Jaha will kill me when he comes down." Bellamy stated,

"I won't let him. We'll figure something out." Avery responded,

"Can we figure it out later?"

Avery leaned back against him and intertwined her fingers with his, "Whenever you're ready."

Bellamy reached into his pocket and pulled out a necklace and placed it in her free hand. She glanced up at him before examining it. It was a pair of wings attached to a shoe lace, made out of metal from the drop ship.

"How did you-"

"I asked Finn to make it for me. You know, before he got stabbed." He explained, "Think of it as a late birthday present."

She gave him a small smile, "Thank you, Bellamy."

Her mother's words echoed through her head, "Don't fly too close to the sun."