CHAPTER 46

AVERY SAT ON HER BUNK, JUST WATCHING

Everyone was happy. Playing games with each other, laughing. On one hand, she was glad everyone was able to put their guard down, to let loose. Be teenagers, because that's what they are.

But on the other side, she wanted to know what the endgame was.

Clark was on the bunk above her, going over the map that was given to them on their first day.

"Miller!" Avery glanced over as saw the boy being walked in by Maya

"Hey." Miller greeted as he walked over,

"I'm glad you're ok." Clarke stated, sitting up,

"Yeah. Only took, what, 3 surgeries?" Miller smirked, "I hear you're fitting right in." He said to the blonde and she narrowed her eyes at Maya,

The dark haired girl handed a bottle of medicine over to Miller, "Twice a day. Don't forget. You'll be ok in a few days." She handed him a bag, " Here."

"Thanks."

Jasper followed Maya while Avery went to help Miller set up his bed across from hers, "We're all really glad you're okay, Miller."

"Thanks." He gave her a small smile, "Um, so, how many of us..."

"48 is what I've been told." Avery responded, stuffing her hands in her pockets,

He nodded, "And Bellamy?"

"Not one of those 48." She mumbled,

"I'm sorry, Avery-"

An alarm began wailing over the intercoms and everyone began to panic, "What is that?" Miller asked,

"I have no clue."

Clarke jumped down from her bed as Maya walked towards the door, "Hey. What's going on?" She asked the girl,

"That signal means the surface patrol is back and someone needs medical attention. I have to go to quarantine." Maya answered before rushing off,

Clarke nodded at Avery and the two began walking towards the exit but Jasper grabbed onto the blonde, "Hey, Clarke. What are you doing?"

"Maybe they found survivors. If our people are hurt, we have a right to know." Clarke responded,

"I'm pretty sure we shouldn't just go w..." They didn't stay to listen to Jasper before following after Maya and the boy ran after them.

"They were attacked. One dead. He's in room two. The other took off his gloves and mask to treat him." A man was putting on a hazmat suit as he explained the situation, "He's still in decon, but he'll need treatment as soon as he's processed through."

They walked over, "Who attacked them? What are they doing here?" Clarke asked,

The man looked over at Maya, "What are they doing here?"

Clarke grabbed a key card from the man next to her and they approached the room,

"Hey, stop! It's not safe!" The man exclaimed,

"It is for us." Clarke replied as she swiped it over the sensor, "Let's go, guys."

They couldn't stop them until they were in the hazmat suits, so they had a head start. They ran down the corridors filled with paintings and statues from before the bombs, looking for the rooms that held the injured men.

"Clarke, slow down!" Jasper panted, "Stop pushing so hard. These people are..."

They entered the room where the dead man was and they looked down at his body that laid in the clear body bag, "Are lying to us." Clarke stated, looking at the fatal injury on the body, "That's a bullet wound." She pointed out, "Grounders don't use guns."

"Unless the Grounders got the guns from us." Jasper suggested,

"He could be right, Clarke. There's bound to be dozens guns just laying on the forest floor right now." Avery said,

"I don't think so." Clarke dismissed, "I think our people are alive out there."

"Clarke." Avery grabbed the blonde's shoulders, "Our people are out there. But why would they attack the Mountain Men if we're in here?"

Clarke hesitated for a moment before Dr. Tsing walked in, "Get them out of here" She ordered from her hazmat suit as two men helped another man, who was covered in burns, inside.

Avery stared at him in horror. Is that what happens when they're exposed to the outside world?

They were dragged from the room and thrown back into the main corridor. Avery looked over at the blonde, "I say we pay the President a visit."