CHAPTER 08

AVERY WAS SITTING WITH JASPER until Clarke came up with a pack around her shoulders, "I need you to stay here and keep an eye on Jasper."

The brunette girl stood, "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to get medicine for Jasper with Finn and Wells. We shouldn't be gone long. Can you watch him?" Clarke asked,

Avery nodded, "Of course."

"Thank you."

She sat back down as Clarke disappeared and sighed, "All I'm good for is sitting around." Avery looked down at Jasper, "No offence."

Hours later, Avery was outside refilling the water container for Jasper when she heard a horn bellowing out. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked around.

"What is that?"

"Is that the Grounders?"

The air got thicker and was filled with yellow. The teenagers started screaming in pain and Avery looked over at Murphy, "Get everyone inside! Everyone in the dropship, come on!"

The two had everyone get inside and quickly sealed the doors. Avery went upstairs and saw Octavia and Monty by Jasper,

"What's going on?" Monty asked,

"Air got thick, everybody's skin started burning." Avery stated, letting out a few coughs.

"Avery, my brother's out there." Octavia stated.

"He'll be fine." Avery sucked in a nervous breath, "We'll all be fine."

Soon enough, it got dark and there was no sign of the fog disappearing. Avery sighed, looks like everyone was going to spend the night in the dropship.

It was a bit cramped, but everyone found a spot to curl up. Most people avoided the upper floor because Jasper was still up there making noise.

"That kid's driving me crazy."

"Can't take this much longer."

"Someone needs to shut that kid up."

Avery sighed, "Guys, try your best to ignore it. Not like this is Jasper's ideal situation either."

The said boy let out another moan of pain and Murphy growled,

"That's it. I'm ending this."

Avery stood in front of the boy, "Bellamy gave him until tomorrow, Murphy."

"Yeah, well, Bellamy isn't here, is he? The kid's dying anyway. I'm just getting it over with." Murphy went to walk to the ladder but Avery pushed him back, "Oh," Murphy smirked, "Little Peacemaker is getting handsy."

Monty raced towards the ladder and Murphy pushed Avery to the side, "Murphy's going to kill Jasper!" Monty yelled as he climbed up.

"Hey!" Avery pulled Murphy back by the arm and punched him in the face, "Ow! Shit!" 

Murphy quickly recovered and pinned Avery to the dropship wall, "You wanna play dirty, little girl?"

Monty closed the hatch and Murphy let her go to climb up after the boy, "I'm gonna kill him, okay? Let me in! Let me in, Monty!" Murphy yelled as he banged on the hatch door, "Both of you better open up this hatch right now!"

Avery climbed up and pulled on Murphy's leg, "Give it up!"

Murphy glared down at her before kicking her with his boot. He hit her right in the face, causing her to slip and hit her head on the dropship floor and lose all consciousness.

By the time Avery woke up, the fog had cleared and everyone had left the dropship. She slowly sat up and rubbed her head, "Ugh." Her hand ached and she looked down at her bruised knuckles, "Crap."

"Wasn't sure when you were gonna wake up." Avery looked up to see Octavia on the ladder, "You hit your head pretty hard."

"I noticed." Avery groaned, standing up as Octavia got to the bottom, "Have the others made it back yet?"

"Hey, everyone, they're back!"

The two girls rushed out of the dropship and met up with Clarke, "It's about time. They're gonna kill Jasper." Octavia sighed,

"Did you get the medicine?" Avery asked,

Clarke hesitated, "Yeah. I... I got it. Come on. Let's go talk." She tried to pull the other girl into the dropship, but instead, she headed towards Bellamy and Avery followed, 

"Octavia, just stay there. Please, stay back." Avery looked behind him and noticed a body covered by a jacket,

"Why?" Octavia asked and pushed Bellamy to the side, "Stop."  She pulled the jacket off to reveal Atom. Avery lifted her hand to her mouth in horror. His face was covered in burns and blood. She imagined the rest of his body looked the same.

"There's nothing I could do." Bellamy stated,

"Don't." Octavia looked up and Avery could see the tears running down her face in the light of the fire. She covered his face once again and stood to leave,

"O... O... please."

"Don't." Octavia cried out once again and pushed past Bellamy and left.

Murphy approached Bellamy and Avery glared at the boy's back, "Lose anyone here?" Bellamy asked,

"No."

"Jasper?"

"Still breathing. Barely." Murphy scoffed, "I tried to take him out, but the little peacemaker and your psycho little sister-" Bellamy lunged at Murphy and pulled him up by the collar, "My what? My what?"

"Your little sister." Murphy gulped before shoving Bellamy off him.

"Yeah, that's right. My little sister." Bellamy sniffed, "Got anything else you want to say about her?"

Murphy kept a straight face, "Nothing. Sorry."

Bellamy turned to Jones, "Get him out of here." He said, referring to Atom's body. He gave Murphy one last look before walking off and Avery followed,

"What happened out there?" She asked, struggling to keep up,

Bellamy stopped and turned to her, pausing for a moment, "What happened to your face?"

Avery touched the bruise that was forming on her temple, "Your little sidekick happened."

"Murphy that little-" Bellamy started to walk back to camp but Avery held him back,

"Bellamy!" She pulled him to a stop, "Was it the fog?"

He looked up at the sky for a moment before nodding, "There was nothing we could do. We hid in the caves but he was too slow. He got lost in the fog."

Avery looked up at him, "Sometimes it seems like you were there just to watch. There's nothing you can do to save someone."

Bellamy sighed and Avery walked over to him and wrapped her arms around him, "I'm sorry, Bellamy."

"It's just something we're going to have to get used to down here."