CHAPTER 38

AVERY SAT NEXT TO RAVEN, striping some wire as Finn and Clarke were below, looking for the ignition system.

"Raven, we can't find the ignition system." Clarke called out.

Raven paused and set down her wrench. Avery turned to look at her, "Raven? Are you okay?"

"Raven?" Clarke questioned,

She set down the circuit board she was holding, "I can't feel my legs." Raven said,

"Ok, hold on. We're coming." The two popped out of the hole and rushed over to the girl next to Avery, "Ok, let me see."

Raven groaned out in pain as she bent over and Clarke lifted up her shirt. Avery's eyes widened at what she saw. Raven's lower back was a dark purple with veins snaking out. The three of them gave each other bad looks,

"That bad, huh?" Raven asked after there was only silence,

They helped her sit back up, "The bullet's in your spine. You're bleeding internally." Clarke told her,

"We better do this fast then, huh?" Raven asked lightheartedly, "Get back down there."

"What if we can slow the bleeding? Would that help?" Finn asked Clarke,

"Well, of course it would help. Can you tell me how to do that?" The blonde responded,

"That stuff the Grounders had... coagulant. You said that Lincoln had some, too." Finn stated,

"Yeah, it's in the box with the antidote, but I-"

"I'm betting that there's more of it in his cave." He interrupted, "If I can get there-"

"Wait a second. No." Raven shook her head,

"I can make it."

"Clarke, tell him he's being an idiot." Raven said, looking over at the blonde, "Avery... anybody want to help me out here?"

"Raven." Finn sighed,

"What? I'm not gonna let you die to save me."

"Fine. If you won't let me save you, how about we save everybody else?" Finn responded, "You're the only one who can fire those rockets. If you die, we all die. I'll be right back."

"Finn, wait. Wait." Clarke followed him and the two stood by the door, talking.

It wasn't long before Avery could hear the drums, and soon gunfire followed.

"We need to hurry." She stated, jumping down the hole,

"Avery, be careful!" Clarke stated,

"It won't matter if we're all dead." Avery responded, "Now come help."

The blonde soon followed and they kept searching for the ignition system.

"Do you see it or don't you?" Raven questioned,

"No." Clarke sighed, "It's a mess down here."

"It'll be orange. Look harder!" She urged, "You have to find the wire that connects the manual override to the electromagnet. It's not rocket science."

"It is rocket science, actually." Clarke commented,

"Guess we finally found something you're not good at." Raven paused for a moment and the two kept looking, "I used to be picked first for everything. Earth skills, zero-g mech course. First... every time. So, how the hell did I end up here?"

The two kept looking through bundles of wires as they listened to Raven speak, "Raven?" Clarke started, "I'd pick you first."

"Of course you would." Raven said after a moment, "I'm awesome."

"Hey, I found it." Clarke called out with a smile, "Orange wire."

"About time!" Raven exclaimed and Avery crawled over to Clarke, "Now follow that wire to the override panel."

Their faces dropped as they noticed the state of the wire, "Raven? It's fried. Totally useless. Tell me this isn't as bad as I think."

"You know how to splice a wire?" Raven asked,

"No." They both answered at the same time,

"Then it's worse."

"Ugh." Raven groaned and they could both tell she was trying to drop down with them,

"Hey, stop. Just keep talking me through it." Clarke stated,

Avery's head turned as they heard voices over the radio, "They're everywhere! Harper, get down! We need backup! Aah!" There was a pause, "Raven, our mines actually worked!"

"Jasper can splice." Raven stated,

Clarke reached for the radio, "Jasper, we need you in the dropship right now."

"Negative. We can't give up the west woods." Bellamy replied,

"The west woods are mined, Bellamy. The grounders just figured that out." Clarke responded, "Jasper, get in here."

Avery crawled out of the hole in the dropship and listened to the radio. She wanted to go out and help them, but she was useless.

Jasper soon came in and dropped his gun before joining Clarke under the dropship. Avery stayed up top in case Raven needed anything.

"Raven, tell us again how this is gonna work." Clarke called out,

"Told you 5 times." Raven rolled her eyes, "Current flows to the electromagnet. That opens the poppet valve. Rockets fire."

"Ok. Got the good wire ready to graft on. What's next?" Jasper asked,

She didn't respond and Avery turned to see her on the ground, "Clarke! I need you up here!

Clarke rushed over and checked her pulse, "Is she..."

"Not yet. But soon."

"They've broken through! There's hundreds of them! They're heading for the gate! Game over, man!" They heard someone yell on the radio,

"Finish it." Avery told Jasper,

"Current to magnet to valve to barbecue. Current to magnet to valve to barbecue." Jasper repeated to himself as he went back under to finish connecting the wires.

Clarke went outside and non-gunners started piling in. Avery quicky followed, "Have you seen Bellamy?" She asked,

Clarke was interrupted by an explosion in the sky, similar to the Exodus ship. Everyone stared upwards, watching as a bright light hurdled towards Earth.

"Is that from the Ark?" Avery questioned,

"That is the Ark."