CHAPTER 34

AVERY CLIMBED UP TO THE THIRD FLOOR and stared at Jasper for a moment, "I want to go out there, too."

"Then why don't you tell him? Loverboy will listen to you." He responded as he poured the gunpowder into the can,

"Because that's not what's best for us right now. The Grounders are coming and we need to be ready." She sighed, "But once it's all over, I'll be out there, Jasper. I won't stop until we find them."

Jasper scoffed, "You're just scared. Just like when the took me, you were too scared to help."

Avery nodded, "You're right, I was scared. I still am scared. Every time I go out there, I think it'll be my last. But... I was being selfish, Jasper. I regretted not going to look for you. But now I got to think about everyone else, and that means until the Grounder threat is gone, we have to be here. We have to do our part."

"And what's yours?" Jasper asked before heading down the ladder.

Avery sighed, sitting there for a moment before following. She was on the second floor when she heard voices below her,

"Murphy, just put the gun down." It was Jasper... And Murphy.

"He tried to kill me." She heard Murphy respond, "Hey, don't move."

"Ok. Ok. It's cool." Jasper tried to calm him down.

Avery looked around for a gun on the second level but couldn't find anything, "Shit." She whispered,

"No, it's not. You know what'll happen to me if you tell Bellamy." Murphy replied,

"Tell Bellamy what?" She heard Bellamy ask over the walkie-talkie,

"Give me the radio, Jasper." Murphy ordered.

"Murphy has a gun. He killed Myles." She heard Jasper say before there was a grunt and the sound of someone collapsing.

"Murphy, what the hell are you doing?" Bellamy asked,

Avery winced as she heard the drop ship door close, "Murphy! Murphy! Open the damn door!" She heard Bellamy yell from outside,

"You try to be a hero, Jasper dies."

Avery sat up there for a long time, trying to figure out how to solve the situation. How could she get down there without Murphy shooting her or Jasper? And how was she going to get Jasper out of there? The door was shut and she only had her knife. She couldn't use that against a guy with a gun.

"Murphy, I know you can hear me." She heard Bellamy through the radio, "All our ammo and food is in the middle level. You know that. You're leaving us vulnerable to an attack. I can't let that happen."