CHAPTER 31

AVERY STOOD ON A HILL JUST OUTSIDE THE CAMP WALLS. She was watching. Waiting.

It had been two days since the bridge bombing. And they were still waiting for the Grounders to show up.

"Anything?" Bellamy asked, him and Clarke walking up behind her, 

Avery shook her head, "Nope."

"It's been two days. Maybe the bomb at the bridge scared them off for good." Clarke replied,

"You believe that?" He asked her, his eyebrows raised,

"No. They're coming." She stated as the three of them made it down the hill,

"Jasper thinks he can cook up some more gunpowder, if he gets some sulfur, and Raven says she can turn that into landminess. So be careful where you step." He joked,

"Funny." Avery smiled,

"What I really need is a thousand more of her tin can bombs I can roll into their village and blow those Grounders to hell." Avery paused and gave him a look, "What? That's what they want to do to us."

"Can't believe we survived a hundred years just so we could slaughter each other." Avery sighed, "There has to be another way."

"Any word from the Ark?" Bellamy asked Clarke, ignoring Avery's comment.

"Radio silence." Clarke answered,

"Finally ran out of air."

"Maybe my mom was lucky being on the Exodus ship. At least it was quick. No one is coming down to save us." Clarke stated.

Avery stared out into the green forest. Clarke had a point. Maybe her father was lucky to be one of the three hundred who died in the Culling. Now he didn't have to suffer with the rest of the survivors on the Ark as they ran out of air.

"Guys! Fire!" Avery turned to see a fire where the smokehouse was, "Go, go, go!"

Avery sprinted back into camp and saw Octavia and Murphy running out of the smoke, "Are you okay?" She asked, putting her hand on Octavia's shoulder.

She coughed and nodded, signalling that she was fine.

"This is all your fault!" Murphy attacked Del, "We told you it was too much wood!"

"Get the hell away from me!" The two started throwing punches.

Bellamy jumped in to separate them, "Hey, stop! Save it for the Grounders."

"Well, now what the hell are we gonna do?" Octavia asked, "That was all the food."

They waited until morning, when the fire had finally died. They looked around the wreckage, seeing if anything survived. But nothing did. They had no food.

"Any idea what happened?" Clarke asked Bellamy,

"Murphy says that Del kept feeding the fire, mostly because Octavia told him it was a bad idea." He answered,

"And we believe Murphy?"

"I do."

Avery sighed, kicking around some smouldering wood, "We have some wild onions and nuts in the dropship. It's only enough to last us maybe one or two weeks."

 "What's left here?" Clarke asked,

"Nothing." Bellamy answered, "It all burned."

Clarke nodded, "Then we have to hunt. Anyone we can spare goes out."

Avery grabbed Clarke, "Is that the best idea? With the whole Grounder army out there, ready to retaliate?"

"Look. We can't defend ourselves if we're starving." Clarke responded,

Bellamy nodded, "Alright." He stood, "Everyone group up and meet in the dropship! We're going hunting."

Once everyone grouped up, everyone gathered into the dropship to grab weapons, "Each group takes someone with a gun, and they're for killing Grounders, not food. We don't have the ammo. Use the spears for hunting. Get what you can. Be back by nightfall. No one stays out after dark."

Avery grabbed a knife but Bellamy stopped her, "Not you, Peacemaker."

"What? Bellamy, I'm quiet and I can track." Avery argued,

"Jasper told me exactly what happened at the bridge. The Grounders were there when it blew up. They saw you, Avery. And if they see you out in those woods, who knows that they'll do to you. Probably worse than what they did to Murphy." Bellamy replied,

"I want to help."

"And you can." Bellamy put her knife back on the table, "Help Jasper with the gunpowder, help Raven with bullets. There's plenty of things for you to do here."

"Fine." Avery narrowed her eyes, "But don't think I'll do it happily."

"Would never dream of it."