CHAPTER 40

AVERY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND what was happening

AVERY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND what was happening. A woman took her from her class, but wouldn't say where they were going.

"We're going to see your mom, sweetie."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"I'm not allowed to say sweetie."

Seven-year-old Avery was led into a deserted part of the Ark. They turned a corner and Avery saw her mother, her arms pinned behind her by two guards.

"Momma?" Avery watched as the guards let go of her mother and she quickly rushed over, "What's going on?"

"I'm going away, baby," Avery's mother smiled, tears running down her cheeks as she stroked her daughter's hair, "For a long while."

"When will you be back? Why can't I go with you?" Avery questioned,

"Oh, baby, we will see each other again. But not for a long while, okay?" Avery nodded and her mother pressed one last kiss to her forehead, "It's okay to be scared, baby. You can be scared. Just remember, never let your fear decide your fate."

Avery nodded as guards pulled her away, "No! Momma, no! Let me go!" The young brunette screamed as her mother was placed in the locked chamber. She was dragged away just as the button was pushed and Avery screamed for her mother.

When Avery opened her eyes, the only thing she could see was white. She didn't know whether she was dead or alive. All she remembered was the cloud of red smoke. And the green light.

Then it hit her. The Grounders. The fighting. The blood.

The fire.

Avery quickly sat up and looked around. She was in a white room, attached to an IV drip. She quickly took it out of her arm, wincing at the pull it caused. She rubbed at the blood that pooled on her skin.

She rushed over to the door and looked out the small circular window that was placed, giving her a view of the hallway and the door across from her.

"Hello?" She knocked on the window, "Hello? Anyone there?"

Avery gasped and took a step back when someone wearing a hazmat suit appeared in the window, staring at her. Where the hell was she? And who are these people?

"Please, Avery, step back." A male voice sounded through the suit.

A woman stepped out from behind him. She was wearing a doctor's coat, "Miss Barnes, I'm glad to see you awake."

"Where am I?" Avery asked, her eyes narrowing at them, "Who are you? Where are my people?"

"All will be answered in a few moments. Please, come with us." The woman replied,

She shook her head, "I don't even know you. Why should I trust you?"

"I'm Dr. Tsing. Please, come with me. We can bring you to your friends." She stated,

"Fine." Avery glared, following the two our of the room.

They stepped into a long hallway filled with doors. Most were empty.

"Does he have to wear that? Makes me feel like I'm dirty." Avery questioned, crossing her arms,

"It just a precaution." Dr. Tsing answered,

"Precaution?"

"All will be explained."

Soon she was placed in a room and told to wait. Avery began to pace. How many of them were left? Who was here? Clarke? Octavia? Bellamy?

She reached up to grab her necklace when she realised it wasn't there. Did they take it? Why?

The door opened and two security guards walked in along with an older man, "Avery Barnes."

"How do you know my name?" Avery asked,

"Your people told me." He answered, walking towards her, "They also said you were their leader." He smiled at her, "Looks like you and I have a lot in common."

"How's that?"

"How rude of me not to introduce myself." He smiled, "I'm President Dante Wallace."

So he was the leader of this place, Avery thought.

"What exactly is this place?" She asked,

"You're in Mount Weather."

Avery nodded, "Where's my necklace?" She questioned,

"I'm sorry, but we can't let contaminated items inside Mount Weather. We couldn't risk it." He answered,

"My mother gave it to me."

"Our protocol is very strict, Avery. We prioritize safety over sentimentality."

Avery narrowed her eyes, "How many of us did you capture?"

"48, including you, but Avery, you've got it wrong. You're not prisoners. We saved you." He stated,

Avery stood up straighter, "Well, in that case, you won't mind if we leave. If there are 48 of us here, we still have people out there. "

She needed to get back out there. She needed to find Bellamy.

"The patrol brought in everyone they could find." President Wallace informed her,

"One hundred of us came down. There's more of us out there than just 48."

President Wallace nodded, "If we find them, we'll bring them in. I promise."

She crossed her arms, "I want to see my people."

"Of course you do. I would, too." Wallace pointed to a wardrobe in the corner, "Change and meet me in the hall." He turned to the security guards, "Come on. Let's go. Let's give Avery some privacy."