CHAPTER 00

AVERY BARNES WAS KNOWN AS THE PEACEMAKER.

She didn't like violence, in fact, she seemed afraid of it. Always avoided it.

Which was quite ironic considering she seemed to be the face of most protests on the Ark.

She lived in the Factory Station all of her life with her loving mother and father. Her mother was a food distributor and her father was a mechanic. They never had much, but they had what they needed. Avery seemed to understand this as a child and never asked for toys or other things that kids in her class had. She was happy with what she had.

When Avery was seven, something happened that would change her life forever. Her mother was caught giving out extra rations in exchange for other items. One of those items was a necklace that hung around Avery's neck.

Avery's mother was floated soon after being arrested. Avery and her father said their goodbyes before Avery was dragged away and her father stayed to watch her mom float, so she wouldn't be alone in her final moments.

Since then, Avery and her father became closer. He started to work more to earn more ration points while Avery got involved with the community. But when they were together, they laughed and created more memories that Avery would learn to cherish.

Avery joined fellow Factory Station citizens in peaceful protests, to follow in her mother's footsteps. Factory station was always the lowest on the totem pole compared to the other stations on the Ark. They got the lowest amount of rations and their clothes were always lower quality. Not to mention they got the crappier jobs like janitors or seamstresses. Avery's parents got lucky with their job positions.

If the protests ever got violent, Avery would leave quickly or try to resolve it before too much blood was shed. She didn't want to get thrown into the Skybox.

That wasn't the case the day seventeen-year-old Avery took part of a protest that got her sent to the Sky Box. Punches were thrown between the guards a few of the protestors and Avery happened to be caught in between.

She was dragged to the Skybox, not even able to say goodbye to her father or anyone before being locked in a cell, awaiting the few months until her 18th birthday.

"I'm sorry, mom." She whispered from the corner of her cell, playing with the heart-shaped necklace around her neck.