CHAPTER 07

WHILE EVERYONE SLEPT, AVERY STARED UP AT THE STARS. 

If you looked hard enough, you could see the Ark. It shined brighter than the orbs around it.

She began to wonder what was going on up there. Was her father okay? Did they figure out the mechanical issues? Were they coming down any time soon?

"No!" Avery sat up and looked around for the source of the screaming, "No!"

The brunette stood and walked towards the noise and found a young girl sleeping against the trees, squirming around with her eyes screwed tightly shut,

"Hey, wake up." Avery gently shook the girl awake and she jumped away, "It's okay. It's okay. It's just a dream." Avery smiled, "You're Charlotte, right? I'm Avery. It's okay to be scared." She sat next to the girl, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"It's... my parents. They were floated and they..." Charlotte cried, "...and I see it in my dreams and I just..." 

"I understand. My mom was floated, too. So, how did you end up here?" Avery asked,

"Well... they were taking my parents' things to the redistribution center and... I kind of lost it. They said I assaulted a guard."

"I can't say I blame you." Avery looked up into the dark sky littered with bright lights, trying to distract the girl, "See that bright star up there? That's The Ark orbiting above us. I think whatever happened up there, you know, the pain... maybe we can move past that now. Maybe being on the ground is our second chance."

"Do you really believe that?" Charlotte asked,

 Avery nodded, looking back up to where the Ark was, "I'm trying to." She stood up, "C'mon, let's go sit by the fire. It's a bit cold out here."

When the sun rose over the horizon, Avery continued helping with the wall, stopping every once in a while to fetch water for Clarke to help Jasper. After three days, he started to gain consciousness, but that also means he's now feeling the pain of the spear. He'd been crying out since the previous night.

And it was starting to get to everyone.

Suddenly, there was a scream of extreme pain coming from Jasper and Avery dropped what she was doing and rushed into the dropship with Octavia behind her,

"Stop it! You're killing him." Octavia yelled as they sat by Jasper where they others were. 

Clarke was holding a knife to his chest where his wound was.

"She's trying to save his life." Finn informed them,

"She can't." Bellamy stated, joining the group as well, 

Wells stood up and faced Bellamy, "Back off."

"We didn't drag him through miles of woods just to let him die." Clarke hissed,

"Kid's a goner. If you can't see that, you're deluded." He said, "He's making people crazy."

"Sorry if Jasper's an inconvenience to you, but this isn't the Ark. Down here, every life matters." Clarke glared at him,

"Take a look at him. He's a lost cause."

Clarke looked over at the younger Blake girl, "Octavia, I've spent my whole life watching my mother heal people. If I say there's hope, there's hope."

"This isn't about hope, it's about guts. You don't have the guts to make the hard choices. I do. He's been like this for three days. If he's not better by tomorrow, I'll kill him myself." He gave everyone one last glance before heading towards the ladder, "Octavia, let's go."

"I'm staying here." She snapped at him and he left,

"Power-hungry, self-serving jackass. He doesn't care about anyone but himself." Monty glanced up at Octavia, "No offence."

"Yeah. Bellamy is all that. But he also happens to be right." Finn stated,

Avery shook her head, "How about we all trust Clarke on this one? If she says there's hope, then there's hope. Let's not give up yet."

Clarke gave her a thankful nod and Avery gave her a small smile. Hope was one of the only things they had left. Without that, where did that leave them?