CHAPTER 24

AVERY WAS A FIGHTER IN HER OWN WAY. Instead of with weapons and violence, she fought with her words. 

All around her were Factory station workers. They were in the canteen, doing a protest. And Avery was at the front, taking the lead.

They were asking for better job opportunities. Better opportunities in general. Because of where they're from, they are judged before they get a chance. It's very rare to find a mechanic or engineer that's from the Factory station.

Around her was yelling. It was loud. But she wanted, needed, to get the point across to the higher-ups on the Ark. They couldn't take away their voice just because they were deemed lesser.

It wasn't long before the Guard showed up. And it wasn't long before punches were being thrown.

It was the man next to her who threw the first one. He hit the guardsman right in the jaw. 

And all hell broke loose.

It was a fight between Factory Station and the Guard. They were restraining people if they could get ahold of them.

Avery tried to back away, tried to leave. She didn't sign up for the violence. She didn't want to fight, she just wanted rights.

"Stop!" She begged, "This isn't the way!"

She was shoved from behind and right into a guard. He immediately wrapped his arms around her and she tried to push him away, "No!" She screamed, "No!"

"You're under arrest for conspiracy and assault of a guard." He stated as he began to drag her away,

"No!" Avery looked around for her father, "No! Dad? I need to see my dad! No!"

Avery broke away from the guard and started to run before she was hit with the electrocution rod. She cried out in pain before hitting the floor. The guard pinned her there as he handcuffed her hands behind her back, "I need to talk to my dad."

When she was a kid, Avery loved Unity Day. It was a day where everyone was the same. They were celebrating the same thing, no matter what station they were from. But as she grew older, she learned to dislike it. Why could they all come together for this one day, but every other day they were treated differently?

"My friends, this is a historic Unity Day." Everyone stood around the monitor, which was set up outside. Jaha was on the other side, speaking not only to the delinquents on Earth, but to the community on the Ark. It was their annual Unity Day speech.

"Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year, on the ground."

"Right. After we did all the work." Miller scoffed, "Someone shut him up."

"You shut up, Miller. No one's forcing you to watch." Raven replied,

Avery smirked over at the boy, "I heard Monty was making his famous moonshine."

"Thank god." Nathan smiled, "I need it after watching this."

She turned to see Clarke and Finn talking by the entrance of the dropship and walked over to them, "Don't tell me you don't like Unity Day." Clarke said to the boy,

"Unity Day is a lie. The Ark only came together after the thirteenth station was blown out of the sky." Finn told her, "Just not the version of history we like to tell each other at parties."

"The Unity Day story gives people hope, though, and peace came out of that violence." Clarke responded,

"But did there need to be violence at all?" Avery asked,

"Whoo! Yeah! Monty strikes again!" They turned to see Jasper running out of his tent with a large bottle, "Hey! Call this batch Unity Juice! Who's thirsty?"

Everyone gathered around, trying to get some of the alcohol that was in the bottle.  

"To our sons and daughters on Earth listening to this message, we will see you soon. The first Exodus ship will launch in under sixty hours, carrying you the reinforcements that you need, so stay strong. Help is on the way."