CHAPTER 21

AVERY HAD BEEN ANTSY ALL DAY.  Raven had set up a way for them to see the person on the other side of the radio, and everyone got to talk to their parents. Avery had been waiting for her name to be called into the tent, so she could talk to her father. She needed to talk to him.

"Avery!" The brunette turned to Clarke, expecting the news that her father was waiting for her in the tent, "Look, Jaha wants a meeting. Can you sit in on it?"

"Why me?"

"We're both leaders in this camp and Bellamy doesn't really want to face him right now." Clarke answered, "So... meeting?"

"Yeah, yeah."

The two girls sat in the sent, looking at Jaha through the computer screen,  "Tell me about the Grounder. Can he provide any insight on how to survive winter?" Jaha asked,

Clarke and Avery looked at each other before Clarke spoke, avoiding bringing up the Grounder, "We're doing everything we can to prepare here. We're gathering nuts and berries, curing meats, digging for roots, but the truth is, we'll freeze before we starve."

"There's good news on that front." The screen changed so they were looking at Kane, "According to civil defence plans from before the war, there's an old emergency aid depot not far from the landing site." He held up a tablet with a map up to the camera so they could see, "Here are the coordinates."

Clarke quickly wrote them down as Jaha spoke, "In addition to supplies, it could provide shelter for the hundred and for the citizens coming down from The Ark."

"And what makes you think it's intact?" Clarke asked,

"It was designed to withstand nuclear warfare."

"All right." Avery turned to Clarke, "It's worth a shot." 

"Chancellor, I have to object. Project Exodus is under way. The kids should sit tight in their camp until the first dropship launches." Council Member Sydney spoke,

"Even if everything goes without a hitch, the hundred would die from exposure before relief arrives." Jaha responded, "I'd like a moment with Clarke alone, please, and I know there's a line of parents waiting to talk to their kids."

"I'll see you outside." Avery gave Clarke a small smile before leaving the tent.

Avery went around, helping where it was needed. It wasn't long before Clarke came out of the tent and coming over to her, "I need you to go on the day trip to the aid depot."

"You're not going?"

"No, I need to stay to watch over Finn. You need to go, but not alone. Bring Bellamy with you." Clarke stated,