CHAPTER 35

"AVERY, COME ON." Bellamy shook her gently, "You've gotta wake up. I can't lose you."

"We got movement outside the south wall!" Someone said over the walkies. Bellamy looked towards the door desperately before glancing down at Avery,

"Go." Octavia told him, "I've got this."

Bellamy shook his head, "I can't leave her."

"Bellamy, you've got to protect this camp. Go." He nodded at his sister, giving Avery one last glance before rushing outside,

"Wait! Hold your fire! Clarke and Finn! Open the gate!" Miller ordered,

The two ran through the gate just as it was opened, "Hey, we heard an explosion. What happened?"

"Murphy happened." Bellamy stated, "We need you in the dropship. Now."

"Thank God!" Jasper wrapped his arms around Clarke, "Where have you been? Where's Monty?"

"Monty's gone?" Clarke asked,

"Clarke, we need to leave, now. All of us do." Finn stated, "There's an army of grounders, unlike anything we've ever seen, coming for us right now. We need to pack what we can and run."

"Like hell we do. We knew this was coming." Bellamy responded, "Clarke, get to the dropship."

"We're not prepared." Someone piped up,

"And they're not here yet. We still have time to get ready." Bellamy turned to Clarke, "Avery needs medical attention. Now."

"There's an ocean to the east. People there will help us." Finn stated,

"You expect us to trust a Grounder?" Bellamy questioned, "This is our home now. We built this from nothing with our bare hands!" He said to the group, "Our dead are buried behind that wall in this ground! Our ground! The Grounders think they can take that away. They think that because we came from the sky, we don't belong here. But they're yet to realize one very important fact: We are on the ground now, and that means we are grounders!"

The group cheered, "Yeah! Grounders with guns!"

"Damn right! I say let 'em come!"

Clarke stepped forward, "Bellamy's right. If we leave, we may never find a place as safe as this. And God knows, in this world, we could be faced with something even worse tomorrow. But that doesn't change the simple fact that if we stay here, we will die tonight. So pack your things. Just take what you can carry, now."

Everyone looked at each other before separating, running to their tents.

Bellamy grabbed Clarke's arm, "You need to help Avery now."

"What happened?" Clarke asked as they rushed towards the dropship,

"Murphy shot her."

"Help me." A voice called out to their left.

They turned to see Raven holding her stomach, "Looks like Avery wasn't the only one to get shot." Jasper stated.

"Get her onto the dropship." Clarke ordered and Finn grabbed her,

Bellamy grabbed Clark again, "Clarke, leaving here is a mistake."

"The decision's been made." Clarke stated,

"Crowds make bad decisions. Just ask Murphy. Leaders do what they think is right." Bellamy responded,

"I am."