I Hate You, Jerk: Chapter 24

Alexis POV

I ducked slightly, waiting for Eric to be out of my sight. What the heck is he doing here?! He's supposed to be in Australia!

"What... are you doing?" Chase looked at me, there was a faint smile of amusement on his face. This isn't funny Chase! My ex is right there!

"N-Nothing, I'm just....." I paused and quickly scanned the front of the car, "Looking at this! It's so coool!" I laughed stupidly, holding up a pen that I picked up from the cup holder. Really? A pen?

"A pen?"

"Yeah! I always wanted this, hehe," Geez, I hope he doesn't notice my awkward gasping for air. Calm down Alexis!

"O...kay then? Have it." still, he was smiling, but his forehead was a bit wrinkled. He slouched back into his seat as he turned the key ignition. His face loosened up. "Again, I'm sorry for what happened."

He looked at me skeptically, I was a bit confused by his gaze until I realized I was still ducking like an idiot. I quickly sat up after Eric had entered the restaurant. "It's okay. Let's just go, I don't want to piss my boss off," I said after looking at the clock. I had five minutes to get back to work!

"All righty."

------------------------------------------------------

I closed my room door, and took a deep breath, throwing my purse onto the floor. I was tired as hell and all I could think about was going to sleep. Besides, I wanted to forget about that incident that happened earlier... I mean, I trust Chase and all, but I just can't help but feel a bit insecure. Sure, he makes me feel beautiful, but compared to that other girl... I'm just.... blaaaah.

I walked towards my mirror and gazed at myself.

I had a thin frame, which stood at about 5'4, the last time I checked. Eh, I guess I could use some meat on my bones. My straight but a but wavy brunette hair fell halfway down my back, perfectly parted down the middle and tucked behind my ears. My eyes... they were a soft hazel color with a slightly browner pupil.

I guess I looked okay, I mean, I don't think I'm ugly. But I can't help but worry... what if Chase falls for that other prettier girl?

Sighing, I shook my head trying to push out the thoughts out of my head. I had no time to be depressed. My dad's ill and I need money for his bypass operation... I'd told him many times to stop smoking, but he just wouldn't.

Knock, knock

My deep thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. "It's me, Monica."

"Come in,"

"Someone left a message on the phone," she said, handing me the home phone.

"Who?"

"You'll find out," and with that she walked out of the room. I wonder who called me. Why couldn't she just tell me who it was?

I pressed the 'play messages' button on the phone. I anxiously waited for the message to come on.

There was a deep voice. They cleared their throat.

"Ahem, hey Lex. It's Eric. I just wanted to uhh..... let you know I'm back in Boston. Just wondering if you wanted to go out for coffee sometime, you know... just to catch up and stuff. So umm, let me know, okay? Catch ya later."