I Hate You, Jerk: Chapter 32

Alexis POV

I dragged my feet through the crowded sidewalk as I made my way to the bus stop. It was such a long day. I just haven't been myself lately, even my coworkers noticed. I guess... I still can't get over what happened.

I flipped my phone open and checked the time, but the date on the screen caught my eye. Unconsciously, a faint smile drew up on my lips, noticing that today was our 'supposed to be' 3 month anniversary.

A sharp pain shot through my chest, and I closed my eyes firmly, trying to stop the tears from forming. It's not right to keep crying. You've cried enough, Alexis.

The bus came and I hastily approached the door, shoving my phone into my pocket. I flopped down onto a free seat and drifted into sleep.

-------------------------------

Chase POV

"Chase, can we talk?" My mom peered through my office door.

"Be quick." I said without glancing at her.

"There's a company celebration this weekend."

"For what?"

"Just introducing you as the new CEO." I looked up at her. She was smiling all the way up to her ears.

I drew a deep breath before getting back to my work. "There's no need."

"Nonsense. You need to be formally introduced, Chase. You know how big this is for our company."

I give up. "Fine. I'll be there." I said, my voice emotionless.

"Alright! So Saturday evening, 7 o'clock. Don't be late. We're introducing you quarter to eight. Be there. Attire is formal." And with that, she left the room. I clenched my fists as anger boiled within me. Couldn't she talk to me like a normal mother?

--------------------------------

After brushing my teeth and finishing other necessary office work, I slouched on the couch while watching soccer. My eyes stared into the flat screen tv, but my mind was elsewhere. I sat upright and reached for the telephone.

An idea popped into my mind. I dialed Monica's number.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Monica. It's me."

"Chase! What's up? Need to talk to Alexis?"

I cleared my throat. "No, I called for you."

"Oh, okay. What's new?"

"I just wanted to invite you... and Alexis, to the company party."

She laughed. "O....kay? Why?"

"Well, I'm being introduced as CEO, and I just thought I'd invite the two most special women in my life."

Monica cooed before speaking again, "Awww! Chase you cutie! And all right, I'll talk to Alexis. You guys could use some private time to talk to each other."

"Okay, goodnight, Monica."

------------------------------------

Alexis POV

"Do I really need to come?" I whined as I adjusted my satin strapless dress that fell just above my knees. For some reason, I just felt so naked. I wanna cover up.

"Yes! You do! This is important and as his girlfriend, you need to see this." she turned and smiled at me. "You know you two still love each other."

I rolled my eyes, not wanting to argue any further. "Ugh, you do know we've broken up right? So I'm his ex-girlfriend. But whatever floats your boat."

Just as I looked up, my eyes caught someone familiar. Great, why didn't I consider the fact that his evil bitch of a mother was going to be here?