Baby Duty (S7S)

Hera sighs, picking Jacen up from his crib. Kanan's old room has just been transformed into Jacen's. Now that the baby is over six months old, she and Kanan figured it was time. Their room has been getting too cramped and Jacen has been sleeping well through the night.

Hera worried Jacen would be affected by the room change, but she finds that she's the one struggling with it most. The thing that brings her the most comfort is knowing that Ezra and Zeb's and Sabine's rooms are close by in case something happens.

Jacen yawns then smiles up at his mother. It's crazy how fast he's grown. He's already doubled his birth weight. "Hi, baby." She greets as she smooths down his hair.

Jacen softly babbles in response, reaching out to her. He can't talk yet, but he's been testing out his skills. He practices most of the time with Sabine, who encourages him to make goofy noises to annoy Zeb.

"Your father and I have an important meeting today," Hera explains as she exits his room. "So we need to find you a babysitter."

Jacen coos, seeming to understand. Well, she knows he doesn't, but he is great at answering when a person would respond in a conversation.

She looks at him on her hip and almost runs into Kanan. "Oops. Sorry, love." She says, patting his shoulder to signal where she's at.

"I was just coming to find you so I could take him from you." He smiles as he opens his hands to her.

Hera leans Jacen to him, the child eagerly falling into Kanan's grasp. "You need to be there in fifteen minutes."

"Be where?"

"The meeting? Mon Motha is expecting both of us." Hera says as she adjusts her flight suit. She wipes Jacen's drool off her shoulder. "Find a babysitter for Jacen before our extra hands run off."

"Alright," Kanan agrees as Jacen lays his head onto his shoulder. "I'll meet you there in fifteen."

Hera slips the baby carrier onto Kanan's free shoulder, kisses his cheek, then departs.

He sighs and pats his son's back. "Who should we get to watch you, little runyip?"

Before Kanan has much time to think about it, one of their extra hands tries walking past him. "'Cuse me," Ezra says as he attempts to slide Kanan aside.

"Woah there, kid. Come back here." Kanan replies as he tugs on the back of Ezra's collar.

"Ugh. Whatever I did, I'm sorry."

Kanan furrows his eyebrows. "Is there something you want to confess?"

"No. I just wanted to get the yelling out now. I really want to check out the new base."

"You act like I yell at you constantly." Kanan scoffs. Ezra shrugs, neither agreeing nor disagreeing with that statement. He lets the silence speak for him. "Anyways, I wasn't going to scold you. I was going to assign you to baby duty."

Ezra groans. "Why?"

"Why not?" Kanan corrects with an encouraging smile. "He's adorable." He adds before bouncing Jacen in his arms. The baby opens his mouth and grins, making a noise with each bounce. "See? Hilarious."

"He is hilarious." Ezra smiles as he reaches out to have Jacen hold his finger. "But the last thing I want is to been seen carrying him around on base. I'm a Jedi, not a babysitter."

"Sorry. Gotta take it for the team this time."

"Why can't Sabine be on baby duty?"

"The carrier doesn't fit over my armor," Sabine replies as she places her helmet over her head. Before they can argue with her, she rushes past them and out of the Ghost.