Luck of the draw 3

First off, I literally want to thank all of you for your sweet and amazing comments. I've loved reading every single one and I'm so glad you guys have been enjoying this. Ngl, I totally thought this would get like 20 kudos max so thank you all so much for your support!!

I also feel like I should warn you that this isn't quite like the last two chapters. Take that how you like.

Metallic footsteps clank past your bed and through the bunkroom, yet you don't dare risk moving. It isn't until you hear the cockpit doors seal shut that you let out a deep, exhausted groan. You roll over to face the wall, already feeling frustrated. It is going to be one of those nights. . . again.

It's been happening on and off for about two weeks. So far, it seems that only Hunter and Tech have caught on to your restless nights, and you're not exactly eager to have anyone else up to speed on your current condition. The last thing you need is to be treated differently.

However, that didn't stop Hunter from taking you off the shift rotation in hopes of helping you gain back a normal sleep schedule. When Wrecker commented on it, he simply responded that it's his call to make and no one has mentioned it since.

Tech has slipped you some melatonin pills for the past few nights. They seem to knock you out for at least a solid two hours, but then you're right back to tossing and turning for the remainder of the night. He's tried giving you some natural remedies too, like staying off your datapad for at least a half hour before bed and sleeping on your right side with your legs straight, but you can't confidently say that these have helped any.

You've been able to deal with the consequences of little sleep fairly well, at least until recently.

Now, you've been forced to have an extra cup of caf in the afternoon to stay awake. You have to push your body to keep going when you're out on missions though your muscles ache from exhaustion.

You've had sleepless nights before, but never this bad or this long.

The others are currently passed out in their bunks. Their dissonant snores are rubbing in that they're sleeping with ease while you have to fight to get a wink.

You told yourself that once Hunter fell asleep and Echo retreated to the cockpit you'd wake him and ask. For a while now, you've been laying here in bed hoping that you wouldn't have to sink so low but now it's inevitable.

This is your last resort.

Tossing your blankets aside, you exit your bed. Quietly moving past Hunter and Tech, you kneel down beside his bunk. Summoning your courage, you reach out and touch his shoulder.

"Cross." You whisper as you nudge him. His eyes squeeze and he frowns before turning away from you. You roll your eyes with a sigh. You've committed to this, so you're not leaving until he wakes up. "Crosshair." You insist louder and shake his shoulder a bit harder.

He hums and swats your hand. He looks over his shoulder at you and groans. "What?"

"Don't laugh."

"What?"

"Don't laugh at what I'm about to ask you."

"Maker, Ace, just spit it out." He groggily snaps as he sits up and wipes a hand down his face. He blinks for a few moments, struggling to wake up. "This better be important."

Swallowing your pride, you blurt, "Can I sleep with you?"

He pauses and squints his eyes at you. "Huh?" He mumbles and shakes his head. When you don't repeat yourself, he asks, "Why?"