Haunting Memories

A soft whimper escapes him as he rolls around in his bed. His eyes are pinched shut, his head slightly shaking back and forth. His breathing is loud and fast, his chest rising and falling quickly.

"Anakin." He mumbles, his face contorting. He tosses again, but he still doesn't wake up.

More like can't wake up. 

Every night, he's trapped in his memories. He's stuck in some endless nightmare of the past few days. The fall of the Republic. The end of the Jedi. The grieving of his best friend. All of it hits him at night when it's dark and silent. 

When he realizes how alone he really is.

"Please. Don't leave me. I love you." He whimpers, his eyes batting as he starts to wake up. He begins to thrash, fear building in his veins. "Don't leave me!" He cries out as he bolts up in bed, his eyes wide open.

He pants, looking at his surroundings. He's no longer trapped on that hot lava planet. It's dark and cool, sending a chill up his spine. He wipes the sweat off his forehead as he gets up from his bed.

He can't remember the last time he's gotten some decent sleep. He's spent the past few nights constantly tossing and turning. Every time he closes his eyes, he's transported back to that godforsaken planet, to that terrible day. The image of his best friend lit in flames always makes the first appearance.

He looks outside, the sky a light gray. Soon, the twin suns will rise and bring intense heat to the planet. It's a lot warmer than he's used to dealing with, but he will adapt to it. After all, this is to be his home until Luke is ready.

Obi-Wan backs away from his window, thinking of Luke. He and his sister have hardly been around for long and already they've had a huge impact on his life. They're the last part of Anakin. The real Anakin. The Anakin that died on Mustafar.

"Obi-Wan."

He jumps, grabbing his lightsaber. The hairs on the back of his neck are standing upright. Someone just called his name. "Who's here? Show yourself." He demands, walking around his hut defensively.

"You don't recognize my voice?"

Obi-Wan tightens his grip on his lightsaber. He turns it on, the bright blue light hurting his eyes. "I recognize your voice, but you're dead. You died on Naboo all those years ago. This is some trick. Show me who you really are."

"It's me. It's alright."

Obi-Wan shakes his head. "You've come to kill me just as you have my friends. I won't let you. Show yourself and we'll put an end to this inevitable fight."

"Obi-Wan, calm yourself. I promise it's really me. There's no one here to hurt you."

After checking his surroundings thoroughly, he finds that no one is there. "It's not possible. You're dead." He insists, turning off his lightsaber. He lets out a shaky breath, dropping it to the ground. He rubs the side of his head. "I'm going insane. I'm starting to hear voices." He mumbles. That's it. He's just so low on sleep that he's losing his mind.

"Yoda told you before you left for Tatooine that I learned the path to immortality. Don't you believe him?"

"Of course I believe Master Yoda," Obi-Wan says, his eyes pinched shut as he rubs his temples. He begins to pace around the room. "This is just so much to handle at once."

"You've had a difficult journey these past few days. I'm sorry that I couldn't be there to help you."

"No one was." Obi-Wan immediately fires back, anger laced in his words. He furrows his eyebrows and opens his eyes, tears beginning to pool in them. His nightmares start to fill his head again. "And no one is here to help me now. I'm more alone than I have been in years."