The Mother He Deserves

They had received the transmission late last night. Beru and Owen had never heard of the man who contacted them before, but at Anakin's name both of them had stiffened. They could never forget Shmi's son and the impression that he had left on them about three years ago. 

This Obi-Wan claimed that he was bringing Anakin's child for them to raise.

He didn't give any more details than that.

The light from the first sun is just beginning to rise from the horizon now, leaving the place in a state of uneasy gray.

He is to be arriving shortly. Beru knows that she should be preparing the homestead for a guest and the newborn, but she can't seem to move from her place at the table. She's been wondering all night if she is qualified to raise a child on this harsh, cruel planet.

She herself is young. Sometimes she feels as if she is still a child.

She wipes the tears from her face, telling herself that she needs to pull it together. This is her chance to finally have a child. After so many tries, this is the only way that she and Owen will be able to have their own.

That struggle falls only on her to blame.

There's something wrong with her. Owen rebukes her each time she admits it out loud, but it's true. She hasn't been able to carry a child to full term, only making it just past four months both times.

They debated seeking help through fertility droids, but the process was too expensive.

As if Owen knows what she's thinking about, he enters the kitchen and kneels down beside her. His calloused hand gently rubs her knee, bringing her comfort in her selfish mourning.

He's quiet as he usually is. He mulls over what to say, his jaw locking and unlocking. "This is how it was always meant to be." He finally says in his gruff voice.

She avoids his gaze. "Because I can't keep my own babies alive?" She softly chokes.

"Because this child deserves the best mother this galaxy has to offer." He replies. His voice is stern with no room for argument. "This child needs someone who can protect them from this rough, unforgiving planet."

She sniffs, unable to keep her emotions inside. "Then they should be sent to live with the Tarrik family."

Owen's eyes crinkle, showing his disapproval of her response. "This child also needs someone who is as warm as the suns. Someone who always knows the right thing to say. Someone who can teach them kindness when this place only offers pain."

She scoffs and shakes her head at him. She can list many others who would do a better job than her at that.

"Beru," Owen coaxes. She forces herself to meet his gaze, feeling like she might collapse at any moment. "You are the only person I've ever met who can do all those things and more. There is no one else who can care for this child in the way that they need."

She sighs. "But I'm not their mother, Owen. How can I possibly care for them like I am?"

"You're right. You're not their mother. You will never be their mother." He agrees. He grabs her hand, holding it tightly between both of his. "But they need someone who will love them as their mother would."

She closes her eyes and bows her head. "Why me?"

"I know that this child is special, Beru." He quietly says. "They're being placed in our care for a good reason. I don't have the answers you want now. I might never have them. But take comfort in knowing that the galaxy is gifting us this child because it knows we can handle it. And that we can raise them better than anyone else ever could."