Rescuing the Unexpected (Bad Batch) (Pt2)

Echo grumbles, rolling his eyes underneath his helmet. They should have known that this mission would heavily involve the Empire. It seems like every corner they've rounded has been swarming with those TK-troopers. At least, the thought that they're TK-troopers makes Echo feel better than thinking they're his brothers.

"What is the plan now?" Omega asks, tucked near his side. After making her way to the top of a building with Tech and Echo, they now have a full view of the courtyard below. Their mission is to capture a prized pet, but they have yet to see it.

"We will remain up here until Hunter gives us further instructions," Tech says, scrolling through his datapad. They're currently hidden behind a red brick railing, sitting low on the ground. "Echo and I will keep an eye out for the pet while you make sure that no one gets into the palace."

Omega nods her head. "Got it." She says. She peeks over the railing, scanning the courtyard down below. Troopers are keeping their posts, a few marching back and forth. So far, it seems like their squad hasn't been spotted yet. She holds her bow close to her, ready to use it when the time comes.

Minutes quickly pass by as they wait and watch for Hunter and Wrecker to appear. Omega gradually lowers her guard, the troopers down below getting nowhere close to the palace. In fact, they seem just as bored as her.

Behind her, Tech and Echo are discussing their possible exit plans. She's about to add to their conversation when she realizes that something is not right. A trooper down below holds her gaze, their helmet tipped up. She hides her body better behind the railing then peeks back down.

When their eyes seem to meet, she watches the trooper's hand begin to lightly the side of their leg. She squints, trying to make out the pattern, but she can't see that far away. They're all the way across the courtyard and a couple of stories below her.

"Something's wrong with that trooper." She says, scrunching her nose.

Tech and Echo quickly rush to her side, placing her between them. "Which one?" Echo quietly asks, placing his hand on her shoulder. He peeks over the edge, trying to follow her gaze.

"The one staring right at us." She says, pointing so only Tech and Echo can see. "They keep staring at me and tapping their side. It's like they're trying to send a message, but I don't understand it."

Tech whips out his binoculars, zooming in on the trooper. Echo and Omega tuck down again, placing their backs against the cool railing, waiting for Tech to update them. Tech furrows his eyebrows, feeling like he and this trooper are in the middle of a staring contest. They both refuse to pull away as if they're locked onto each other. "This is odd," He mumbles.

"What are they doing?" Echo asks.

"Absolutely nothing," Tech replies with a slight shake of his head. "They haven't alerted anyone to our position. They've hardly even moved."

"That doesn't make any sense," Omega says as she places her hand on her chin. She tries to rack her brain for possible explanations when Tech suddenly lets out a gasp. "What is it?" She asks, jumping to his side, trying to get a look.

"I think it might be Crosshair," Tech says, his voice giving away his uneasiness and confusion.

"What? You've been staring into those binoculars for too long." Echo quickly argues, flipping around and staring back down below. After taking a quick look, he snaps back to glare at Tech. "Crosshair had on black armor. This guy is in your typical white."

"Then why is he tapping out our help signal?" Tech snippily asks, looking away from his binoculars to meet eyes with Echo.

"Let me look." Echo grumbles, snatching them out of his hands. He zooms in on the trooper, waiting for the signal again. Sure enough, they pat out the series of hand signals that the squad made up for when they found themselves in a sticky situation. "I don't believe it."