Senses

Luke sighs, looking out the window. Leia and their father are outside working on combat. Though the twins don't have their own lightsabers yet, they are being taught how to handle one. Their father lets them use his lightsaber occasionally, but they typically just use a staff crafted into the shape of a lightsaber to practice and not injure themselves too badly.

"Luke, focus on your work," Padmé says, gently tapping on the book in front of him. He looks up at her, making her smile. It's usually a hassle to get him to stay inside and work on his studies, but today is a very off day for him. It's clear that he doesn't even want to attempt pretending to work.

"How much longer?" He asks, slightly dropping his shoulders.

"Only for about another hour. Then you and Leia can switch places." Padmé says, running her fingers through his sandy blond hair. He smiles as she kisses the top of his head. She walks over to the window, closing the curtains. She wants to take away all of his distractions.

She goes to sit in her chair at the end of the table. He's sitting at the chair just to her right, his books sprawled out on the table. He has always been a tad bit messy, but Padmé doesn't like to upset his work cycle. If this helps him to stay focused and do well, why bother making him change?

"Why do I have to learn all of this stuff?" Luke asks, resting his head on his hand. Padmé sits up, ready for a fight with him. Though it never gets out of hand with Luke, they will sometimes bicker about all of his studies.

"You need to know how to read and how to write. Even Jedi learn this at the Temple." She replies. They had recently brought up the idea of sending the twins off to the Temple to get a reaction about how they felt with the idea. Leia seemed indifferent, but Luke loved it. Now, it's all he talks about.

"I know that. I mean about my politics. Jedi don't need to know politics, do they?" He asks, clearly curious. He isn't meaning to sound snarky or whiny like Padmé originally thought. He actually wants to know.

"Jedi need to have an understanding of what is happening on other planets. Though they don't learn to the extent you are, I think this is very important. I was a senator before you and Leia were born, so I want you to be knowledgeable about it." She says. She loves teaching about politics and laws and histories about other planets. She knows her children don't appreciate it as much as her, but she hopes to show them that it can be interesting. And maybe, just maybe, have a little politician to join her in her trips to the senate. 

Luke nods his head and goes back to his work. He doesn't want to be a politician. He wants to be a Jedi, like his father before him. He wants to go back to the Temple with his Uncle Obi and learn more about the Force and make his own lightsaber. But, if learning this makes his mother happy, he was willing to survive through.

"Do you think that I have worked long enough now?" He asks, hoping to strike a chord in his mother's heart. He slightly bats his eyelashes, making sure to give a small pout.

Padmé takes a deep breath. He looks so adorable and sweet, his blue eyes sparkling up at her. But she knows better. Luke is a huge suck-up. It's almost scary how easy he can get someone to do something for him just by looking innocent and sweet. "Not yet. I want you to finish the next three pages in your book."

He lets out a sigh, dropping his head to look at his book. Three more pages? That could take him years to finish. He has to write about the events that he just read about and give good details. He hardly remembers what the event was. He will have to flip back and forth until his mother says his work is satisfactory. That could be at least five tries.

"May I be excused to go to the bathroom?" He asks, hoping to at least get a small break from working. They started lessons just after lunch. That already feels like hours ago.