1

Ehheheheh. Wait for me brotha!

The sky was a foggy grey, streaks of blue sky just now being seen. The ground outside was wet and muddy, the sounds of two kids enjoying the puddles left on the sidewalk.

But the country in the house right by the kids wasn't so thrilled of the rain. Rather, they were busy trying to regain some sleep after the worst of the storm pounded against the roof all night long. But one good thing was able to come out of it- they could work. And work away they did. A lot of it had to do with private stuff only they really knew about.

As the rain slowly started to give way to the sun beams, the country hadn't realised that they had forgotten to close their blinds. The rays of light shined into the room, and by cruel fate right into the country's face.

He took it as a sign from the universe to get up again for the day. Nothing like a good cup of coffee to make up for a lost night's worth of sleep. Groaning as he sat, the country reached for a few items on his nightstand. One of these items was a pair of black shades, to which the star-spangled country put on. Better safe than sorry, considering that New Zealand was insistent that they try to make acquaintances with the rest of the countries in the town.

Letting out a yawn, America swung his legs out from under the sheets and onto the floor.

Rosie, his Labrador, trotted up the stairs to greet him a slobbery 'good morning'. His shades were knocked off, but the doggo was unfazed.

"Rosie. No. Down. Down girl." America chuckled, playfully defending himself from the young lab puppy. The pup took this as play, gently nipping at the country's fingers. She gave a happy yip, retreating back to the floor after having jumped on the bed. Sitting down, she scratched and yellow strands of fur fell onto the carpet.

"Canada did comment that I'll have to start worry about brushing you." Meri chuckled, scritching his dog behind the ears. "Want bone? Want your bone?" The puppy recognized the word, wagging her tail in joy. "Where's your bone?" Giving a high yip, Rosie ran to the stairs before padding her almost too-short legs down the steps. America had a smile on his face- Rosie always found a way lift the mood.

By the time Meri was down on the ground floor, Rosie was already sitting in front of the freezer; fluffy tail wagging behind her. She gave an impatient bark, mainly when the door was opened. It was at this moment that the freedom country realized he left his sunglasses upstairs.

"Rosie. Shades. Go get the shades." He asked in a playful tone, the pup making a U-turn and heading back up the stairs. At least not without sniffing the couch and the accessible kitchen counter that is.

There were two reasons why he sent the little pup up. One of which was that he needed an extra hand everynow and then when it came to finding them. The other was far more important.

Meri took the bone out of the ziplock bag, and set it into the sink. He turned the faucet to warm, feeling the edges of the bone until he no longer felt frost. Can't have his puppy getting her tongue stuck to a bone that was very gradually loosing the meat shreds on it.

A paw slapped a drain stop into the sink, giving the country a slight fright. "Morning to you too Sam." The grey tabby purred, rubbing against the faucet before demanding food. "I'll get to you in a minute."

By now Rosie had come down the steps, the shades in her puppy maw. "Good girl! Very good girl! Huh. Who's the bestest girl?" Rosie gave Meri 'kisses', dropping the shades onto the ground as her owner pet her. But Meri saw where her true line of attention was. "Want tha bone? Huh? You want the bone. Come get tha bone!" He taunted, bringing up a one-sided tug-o-war.

The pupper won, obviously.

Sam mewed again, demanding his treat. As Rosie went to her towel in desperate need for a wash, Sam order Meri to open a sacred cupboard in the kitchen. As the gravy can was opened and placed in a special dish, the grey tabby was pleased at its daily sacrifice. Only the gravy with the cheese chunks and chicken shreds will subside the omnipotent 'god' for a day.

Meri was now free to do what he wanted, which was to get some kind of food.

The sound of the door opening caught his attention. Hastily bending down and snatching, Meri put on his shades.

"Little brother! We have returned! And did you get the pancake mix made when you were- you just barely got up, didn't you?" New Zealand commented, taking note of America's night apparel. "Go change. We are having company tonight. Or rather, . . In three hours. . . Don't give me that look. We all agreed last night to invite a few countries over to get to know each other better."

Meri was still slightly unsure about the entire thing, but his bravado helped hide that. Besides, in theory he wouldn't be lying when he said he was sensitive to light. "Alright. Alright. What are Canada and Australia doing?"

"Last I looked, Canada was helping Australia dig for worms." "For Yoshi I assume?" "Mhm. Now shoo Mr stars and stripes." Zee noogied his younger brother's head, to which the other smirked. "You know we're not kids anymore." The freedom country remarked.

"It may appear so on the outside, but I know the truth!" Meri chuckled at the other, heading up the stairs.

'Guests today eh? Well, it'll be alright. They're countries as well, so "weird" colored faces shouldn't be a problem. Besides. Surely I can't be the only one with a weird facial marking of some sort. Canada has a freaking leaf stamped on his head.' America glance at the mirror, having left his shades on the counter in the bathroom.

Hidden almost perfectly in one of his stripes were the remnants of what once was a jagged cut, taking away the chance of the much more clean and narrow ones of being seen. It was also in one of the red, which made it harder to stand out. Added with that his shades, it was near impossible to see it.

'Only those with eagle-eyesight will notice it's there, and if they ask the basic truth is 'a childhood accident'. . . Nothing bad will happen. Besides. You've seen a country or two walking around with either white eyes or normal. Why should mine be any different?' The country continued to look at the positives.

'Today will be a good day.'