20.0

| CHAPTER TWENTY |***

| CHAPTER TWENTY |
***

YOU TOOK A MOMENT TO INHALE HIS FAMILIAR SCENET BEFORE LETTING GO OF HIM. Burnt sugar with a touch of cinnamon. You gave him a small smile when his arms stayed around you just a bit longer in case you needed to hold on for support.

"You still need to clung onto someone to walk?"

You looked over your shoulder and side eyed Touya, who was leaning on the door frame with his arms crossed over his chest and an unimpressed look in his cold eyes.

"Shut the fuck up, crispy bacon." Bakugou barked back, baring his teeth and tightening his arm around you protectively like a guard dog.

Ignoring the blond, Touya stepped in the room and slowly stretched out his arm in invitation. "Speaking of crispy bacons, wanna see your little boyfriend, missy?" The smirk he shot at Bakugou only deepened the explosive boy's frown.

"Gross. He's not my boyfriend." You shifted in Bakugou's arms to face Touya fully. "Why is he here?"

Touya's smug smile morphed into a sadistic one and a deep dark chuckle escaped his throat. "You didn't think i'd let that fuck get away with what he did now, did you?" He grabbed your hand and bent down to place a small peck on the back of it. "No one gets away with hurting you, baby."

Normally the gesture would have warmed your chest up. But the look he gave you, the tone he used...

To most it would have sounded like he didn't want you to get hurt. But in that moment, you knew what he really meant was that he was the only one allowed to hurt you if he pleased.

After his words registered, your eyebrows shot up and you retrieved your hand so forcefully you tumbled back into Bakugou's chest.

Deep down, you knew Touya was still somewhere underneath this persona called Dabi. But the shiver running down your spine from his words made you wonder if his villainous tendencies were more than an act to push you away.

Dabi held out his scarred hand again, as if you didn't just recoil back from his touch. "I'll take you to him."

You looked down at his hand, then back at him. With a heavy sigh, you stepped out of Bakugou's hold and walked past Dabi, ignoring the boy and his stretched out arm. "Let's go."

Bakugou wore a mocking smile and pushed into Dabi's shoulder as he passed him.

Dabi clenched his jaw and closed his palm into a fist. His nails dug into his skin until he drew blood. But he didn't mind that. In fact he needed it. The pain grounded him. Helped him compose himself. So with one last deep breath, he followed behind you and Bakugou.

You only knew part of the way to the dungeons, but thankfully Bakugou guided you for the rest. After a series of iron bars opened and closed, you finally stood in front of the boy who shot those arrows at you.

His hair looked darker under the dim light and his figure smaller than you remembered as he crouched in the corner of his cell.

"Good to see you, Four." The boy finally looked up and though the room was dark, you saw enough for a gasp to leave your lips.

Half of his face was charred, the pink flesh now darkened. There was nothing left to cover the right side of his teeth. Your eyes followed the trail of burnt skin. His neck, chest, arm, hand. It seemed like half of his body was covered in scars. The half he needed to use his bow and arrow.

"Now that's what I call a crispy bacon, don't you agree Bakugou?" Dabi laughed out.

"What the fuck..." you muttered as you looked at your ex in horror.

"Oh, come on, Four. Don't tell me you feel bad for me. That really breaks my heart, you know?" He stood up and started walking to the bars separating him from you. The heavy chains around his ankles scraping the floor with each step.

"I don't regret shooting you with my arrows. But I regret not aiming for your heart. That's how much I love you. I love you so much I can't bear seeing you die any other way. Tell me. Do you love me that much too? Do you also hear that small voice in your head? Is it asking you to kill me? Tell me you wanna kill me too." He finally got close enough to wrap his fingers around the metal poles.

"You're a fucking psychopath." Bakugou spat through his teeth.

You ignored his crazy monologue and got right to the point "How did you know we were gonna be there that night? There were way too many of you stationed at the head quarters. Didn't you have missions or something?"

"You know when I found out you were coming back, I was ecstatic. But then I saw him." His tone turned dark and eyes hooded. "I never knew you were into blonds, Four. The way he held your hand... the smallest touch. I couldn't bear it. I just knew I had to kill you both."

He pressed his forehead against the cold bars, his eyes throwing daggers at you. "Cause if I can't have you, then neither can anyone else."

You didn't even like him to begin with. Dr. L always paired you up, insisting you made a great team. The boy continuously asked you out, wanting a chance to make you like him. So you agreed to date him. Though as you predicted, it didn't last more than a month. And now, you knew he was crazy. But never thought this crazy.

"You didn't answer, Seven. That night you seemed prepared. And now you said you knew I was coming. How?"

"Oh come on, sweet heart. You're smarter than that. How do you think?"

The realization hit you like a tone of bricks. Your eyes widened as you took in a sharp breath. Turning on your heels, you rushed out of the dungeons, still hearing a faint scream behind you "It's too late now." followed by a fit of laughter.

You tumbled and fell a few times on your way to Mei's office, your legs not quite used to their old agility. Please don't make me be too late, you chanted over and over again.

You could hear heavy footsteps following behind you. They sounded like Bakugou's. But you couldn't stop and explain. You just had to be sure. As soon as you saw the familiar doors to the support center, you barged in and called out "MEI!"

"Wha-"

"Please tell me you haven't used NIA since the mission!"

***

Work in the darkness to serve the light ⚔️