Chapter 1 - the memorial

I feel like dreaming a dream
I've never seen even in dreams
It's too vivid
To conclude it as just a dream

- Ateez, Inception

"Does anyone know what lucid dreams are?", Professor Eman asked. The whole class groaned and tried to fight against the sleepiness. Just an hour before they had a big exam and Philosophy class was definitely not bringing their mood up. 

Usually Philosophy was their favourite class. Professor Eman was the only teacher who'd discuss things with students and actually listens to their opinions. He was weird at the same time making his classes always funny. 

But now everyone just wanted to go home. Their energy was gone and to be honest most of them had spend the night studying. 

So had Rory. Her attention was on the clock on the wall, praying for time to go by faster. Rory had to hold back a yawn, while Mark lifted his hand to say something. He was probably the only one in this classroom who actually payed attention. 

"Lucid dreams are, like, dreams in which the person becomes aware that they're, like, dreaming." 

"Good, but what are the dan-", Professor Eman started but got interrupted by the long awaited ding dong of the school bell. As soon as everyone heard it, the students started packing their things. A few seconds later the whole classroom was empty and only Professor Eman was left. 

At the same time Rory was already leaving the big school building, hoping nobody would bother her from walking home immediately. Sadly, her prayers were not heard and a familiar boy stepped in her path. 

"Changbin, I'm not going to get Chan do your homework, again.", Rory said annoyed. Her best friend aka Changbin was stopping her from going away. The past few weeks he had convinced Rory to get Chan, her brother, to do their Physics homework. It had been very easy since Chan liked Physics but of course he had figured out she wasn't actually that clueless. 

"But why?", Changbin whined. "I'm paying for lunch the next week, okay?" 

"But not the school menu. It sucks." 

"Nice. Do you want to join us? We'll be playing football later on." 

Rory quickly glanced at Changbin's group of friends. Her brother was already there as well. Usually he'd work at the Café but his shift ended sooner than expected. Rory liked his friends a lot and that was how Changbin met them as well. 

"I can't. Sorry. Maybe I'll join you later." 

"So you got a date?" 

"Yes, with a three-year old.", Rory said smiling.  She then said goodbye to Changbin and quickly waved to her brother before turning around and making her way to the local kindergarten.  

The past few months she had voluntarily worked with these children. Well, actually, her psychologist suggested she should get some social contact and a carefree environment. 

Her walk to the kindergarten was so familiar to Rory she could probably walk to it with her eyes closed. Still, she had another place she wanted to visit. 

Her psychologist had told her to not go but Rory wanted to see it. It would feel wrong, if she didn't visit it. With slow steps she went to the familiar park of the city where some people were enjoying the last rays of sunshine of the day. But Rory didn't look at them. 

Her eyes were fixed on the memorial in the centre. Rory's eyes started to water when she reached it and her gaze fell onto all those familiar names graved into the stone. 

"Hey, Giggles.", Rory whispered with a sad smile while softly touching the engraved name of her childhood friend. She remembered the last few sentences they had spoken to each other. 

"Look.", Danbi said and giggled like usual, just the way she had gotten her nickname. "He got me a bracelet from the shop!" 

Rory couldn't help but laugh at her friend's excitement. Danbi was really in love with her boyfriend making Rory wonder if she'd ever get loved like that. Even though Seonghwa and Danbi were only together for like a month, he already got her a present for her birthday. 

"It's really cute.", Rory had answered. "Are you going to him?" 

"Yes, we're going to take a walk around the deck. You want to come? The other boys are probably there as well." 

Rory had thought about it but then declined. Danbi nodded, not really surprised, and left the bracelet in their room, scared she'll lose it. Then she had waved one last time at Rory and that was the last time she had seen her. 

Before the storm came. Before the ship sank, pulling everyone underwater with no mercy. 

Rory remembered the panic she had when the ferry suddenly started to lean left and right, almost throwing her out of her seat. She clearly remembered the screams on the hallways and how she had ran outside as well. The trip that started as a normal theatre club trip, became a nightmare. 

With shaking fingers Rory took out a candle and lit it in front of the memorial, placing it to the dozens of others. Even after three months, many people came here to pray or put flowers down. Then Rory took out a small box of her bag and opened it. The only thing she had saved from the ship was Danbi's bracelet. Rory wasn't quite sure why she had taken it in the first place but now she had a feeling it was important. Maybe it would help her get over it. 

Rory's eyes then fell onto the names on the other side of the memorial. She knew them to well. This group of friends had brought so much happiness to the theatre club and Rory regretted not talking to them more. 

Park Seonghwa

Kim Hongjoong

Jeong Yunho

Kang Yeosang

Choi San 

Song Mingi 

Jung Wooyoung

Choi Jongho

None of these boys were found. Nobody knew if they were alive or not. Now, after three months, everyone thought they were dead. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Hey Fellaz! 

This is my first ever Ateez ff and i have to admit it's one of my favourite stories I've ever written. Please correct my mistakes politely since I'm not a native English speaker. 

In no way I'm trying to make fun of the boys or harm them. This is just meant for entertainment and is a work of fiction (obviously). 

As a celebration for Fever pt. 3 I'm gonna publish the first few parts! 

Have fun and stay safe! 

P.s.: In this book are other 4th generation groups included (my multistan self whoops), who are friends with Ateez but it's not neccessary to know them to read the story xD