Chapter 2 - Sleeping Beauty

In your eyes and in my eyes
We'll remember forever
It'll be the most brilliant darkness in our eyes
Wrap me around, my Aurora

- Ateez, Aurora

"Rory! There you are!", Gael yelled at the top of her lungs when Rory entered the kindergarten. With ease she lifted the small girl and spun her around, hoping she wouldn't notice her red eyes. 

"You're a bit late, Aurora.", Ms. Han scolded the girl making her flinch at the use of her full name. It made her feel as if she got in trouble. 

"Sorry.", Rory answered. Usually she was perfectly on time but today she just wanted to visit the memorial. She felt drained and emotionally exhausted but she had to see it. Then she turned to Gael who was already waiting. "You want to play something?" 

"Yes! Can you act something with the dolls again? Please, everyone loves your stories!" 

"If you want." 

Gael lead Rory to a the big room where all children played and quickly told everyone to gather at the couch. Meanwhile Rory grabbed the familiar dolls and already prepared herself. Of course she loved acting. Otherwise she wouldn't have joined the theatre club. But now everything similar to it reminded her of her friends. 

"Everyone ready?", she asked faking a smile. The children didn't notice and cheered loudly. Even the small Hwayoung, who usually didn't like to participate in anything, smiled at her. 

"Can you please tell us the tale of Sleeping Beauty?", the girl asked shyly. Rory almost rolled her eyes. Because of her name the children thought she liked the tale. She did, but it bothered her how people judged her because of it. 

"Of course.", Rory answered. A few moments later the fake smile on her face was replaced with a real one. The reactions of the children were making it difficult for her to keep a serious tone. They were so enthusiastic and gasped, even though they have heard the story ten times already. 

When Rory finished the children immediately ran to her and praised her skills. Gael clung onto her hand and had a huge smile on her face. 

"That was awesome!" 

Hwayoung on the other hand had a confused expression on her face. Worried Rory turned to her and asked what was bothering the little girl. 

"I just don't understand why it's always princes saving princesses. Maybe Sleeping Beauty could save a prince as well, you know?" 

"Hwayoung.", Rory said surprised at the thoughts of the girl. "That's a very good point. Maybe next time I'll tell you a story where the princess saves a prince." 

"Would you?", Hwayoung asked, her eyes sparkling in excitement. Rory immediately forgot about her worries if she could even tell such a story and nodded. If she could make a little girl's day, she would do it. 

The rest of the day Rory spend much time with the children, making Ms. Han's day a bit easier. An hour before the parents would fetch their children, a familiar guy walked through the door and greeted his mother. When he spotted Rory playing happily, he couldn't help but smile. 

"Mom, do you think she'll get better?", he asked worried. He never really talked to her. Only when Changbin or Chan were around and he wondered how this catastrophe had changed her personality. Before Chan would always brag about his sister, how cute and funny she was. But now he rarely talked about her without being worried. He always asked the boys for help or advice but only Changbin knew Rory that well.