Chapter Six: Extermination

As we arrived on the other side of the twilight, Midna made her presence known as she had the Ordon shield on her face and the Ordon sword and spear in her hands. Link lowered his head as we walked, raising it whenever the little imp spoke. "Hmm! So these are the weapons you use in your world?" When she said that, she swung both of the sharp weapons right near Link's head! I barked and growled her way, telling her inadvertently to watch herself with those weapons. The imp just giggled, raising her head, "You really think this thing can slay the creatures of twilight?" Link looked back and growled profoundly, obviously furious by what she had done and also annoyed by her words. The imp took the sword, shield, and spear and threw them down into the sand, the shield landing on Link's face. She crossed her arms like a child, turning her nose up at us. "...Well, I won't use these, but I'll hang onto them for you!" With that, she snapped her fingers, and all three items disappeared into the twilight. "Alright, a promise is a promise..." Midna began as Link raised his head again. "I trust you two enough to help." She hummed, leaning into Link's ear as she peered at the both of us. "In exchange for my help, though, I need you to gather some things for me." I raised my head in confusion, raising a brow as well, but I knew I wasn't able to question anything. "Look, I can't tell you all the details now, but it'll be easy, trust me... But enough about that. Do you hear that noise?" Just when Midna said, my ears perked up to find the most haunting sound I had ever heard throughout my life. It was a wretched screech, yet a holy echo was profound through the dark of the twilight. "It's the lamentation of the spirit that had its light stolen..." Midna confirmed, "Where in the world could it be? Eee hee~!" She giggled, trying to test our knowledge. Of course, Link and I both knew where it resided, but we weren't aware of how Faron Woods had changed because of the twilight yet.

"Better get going, don't you think? Don't blame me for your world's fate if you don't hurry up and find that light!" She hummed, looking at her hand and tilting her head. I glanced over with a look of annoyance, growling along with Link at her next words. "Come on! Snap to it!" She scowled, fixing herself upon Link's back before we began our trek. When we continued until we got a clearing in the woods, those black stakes of twilight slammed down against the ground to encompass us. Like clockwork, shadow beasts fell from the portal above. However, this time there were three instead of simply one. Each of the beasts surrounded us, making both Link and I growl from the unwanted presence. "Aww... We're penned in again!" Midna sighed, tilting her head before laughing aloud. "Pffft! Who do they think they're dealing with? No need to take these little pests on one at a time, right? You two can take them all at once!" She put her hands behind her head as she looked at both of us to boost our confidence. I inadvertently thanked her, but this was bound to be difficult. "So... You can handle this by yourselves, can't you? Good luck~! 'Bye~!" With that, the little imp removed herself from the situation, exiting the makeshift ring.

Just as that happened, the shadow beasts took their pounce at the both of us. Thankfully, Link made the jump unscathed, but I was slashed by one's sharp and villainous claws. I yelped as soon as I was hit, my eyes going wide as crimson red blood trickled down my side. Link barked towards me, asking if I was alright. I nodded my head as Link went in to attack one of the shadow beasts. Like before, he latched onto the beast and let loose a barrage of bites. Taking this opportunity, I did the exact same thing, and we both vanquished the beast. When I let go, I turned around and attacked the second one, yet that wasn't very effective. The beast screeched almost inaudibly as it swatted me back, landing a hit upon my jaw and muzzle. I reeled from the pain as best as I could, hearing the sounds of battle behind me. As quick as it came, the beast in front of me raised its head and let out one of the most unholy screeches I had ever heard. With my newfound keen senses, it was even louder than ever. Link and I both lowered our heads, and the two beasts we had killed rose from the dead.

"What's the holdup?" Midna suddenly called out, impatient by our lacking speedrun. "If you leave the last one alive, it's just going to use that shriek to bring the others back. Listen, let me help you out here! Just move like I tell you!" With that, Midna appeared on Link's back and positioned herself properly. "Take one of them out, and I'll expand an energy field. Enclose the remaining enemies within it, and you'll do the rest," She explained. Looking at one of the shadow beasts, Midna began the energy field, surrounding the other two beasts of shadow. With a small nod towards her, Link jumped from beast to beast as I went in for the kill. The adrenaline pumping within my animalistic heart kept this encounter quick, but it was memorable at the same time.