Chapter Fifteen: One Final Memory

The next morning, in our prep time within Kakariko, we each gathered up some water bombs from our resident child-scarer, Barnes and his shop. They were peculiar little things, the bombs, sporting the classic appearance but with an added blue, red-eyed fish with sharp teeth seizing onto the explosive. Fortunately, it was quite a good thing that their teeth didn't set the bombs off... That would make for a huge disaster! Either way, we were now headed down to Lake Hylia, so Link could go down and complete the temple in its bed. However, we decided on the route that came from Kakariko Village underneath the grave of King and Queen Zora. Well, it wasn't exactly underneath, but in the water and off to the left. When we decided to go down, I gulped and peeked at the big rock in front of the passage as a looming doom came over me. Link slipped the Zora armor on beside me and went to go and blow up the rock below, while I put on the elegant yet complicated gear. The coloration was similar to that of Rutela, alongside flowing fabrics that formed a skirt and the hood that I would be stretching over my nose and mouth. After straps and things of fabric (both breathable and adequate with water), as well as a bit of struggle, I was all complete and ready to go, though I still felt the apprehension in my shoulders and heart.

 After straps and things of fabric (both breathable and adequate with water), as well as a bit of struggle, I was all complete and ready to go, though I still felt the apprehension in my shoulders and heart

With a breath, I pulled up the mask part of the headdress, making sure it was tight and secure before slipping down into the warm watery embrace. When I did, I was sent into a hysteria whilst I slammed my eyes shut.

However, that panic diminished as I opened my eyes to see that everything was clear as day. I didn't feel any water entering my lungs, and I felt as if I could breathe, clearly as well! It was a tremendous comfort to know I wasn't drowning, but the question was, how was I supposed to swim? Blinking lightly, I first cupped my hands (as I had seen my older brother do it while he swam), and swished it through the water. My eyes grew wide for a moment before I hummed with determination and swam forth. The male turned to me and nodded his head, gesturing with his hands that he was going to head first so I could follow. I bowed my head for just a moment as Link took his iron boots from his legs and began to glide off into the darkness. Letting out a mental breath, I followed along with my headdress flowing behind me. I really did look like the Zora...

Eventually, the light of the sky came into view, and we fell from the waterfall leading into the lake. Shaking my head as I surfaced, I let out the breath I was unconsciously holding in my chest. My (e/c)-colored eyes were wide with bewilderment while my core pumped the adrenaline I sensed within my veins. "Holy Hylia, that was terrifying..." I muttered audibly, shaking my head as I closed my eyes. Link simply laughed and tugged down his face mask to present a lukewarm smile my way. "You did well," He spoke before resorting himself to a comfortable silence. I returned a grin as well, tilting my head in kind as a bit of pink dusted my cheeks. "Thank you. I... think I need more practice," I hummed and scanned the water from this point of view before finding an expansive deep part of the lake in the middle. My lips formed the shape of an 'o,' and I lowered my hand from my mouth covering. "Well, I think that's where we're headed..." I turned to Link, who nodded and began to head down as he pulled up his mask. I pursued along (though much slower), and we soon came to our terminus.